ATI Cat 7.1 released

Pooka

Guys, I just couldn't, in good concious, watch nearly $600 worth of card(s) just collecting dust. The damn things didn't sell on eBay. Tried for two weeks. Could have had something to do with me including the water blocks, but I really thought that was a sales pitch as each card had $65 worth of water block(s) and ram sinks. They could have easily resold them for $40 and have only $170 tied up in a decent, actually great, card. But noooooooo.

So I got pissed because I was put in a position to be forced to use them again. Actually my concious forced me to use them again. It is allot easier to see a $100 investment collecting dust. But I was so aggravated I thought, "If I am going to use these two cards again in SLI, I am going to get every bit of speed I can get out of them both. And if I burn them up I will feel better about them collecting dust." So I vmodded the piss out of them both. Took them both as far as they can go without replacing and re-soldering larger resistors onto each of them, all the way to 1.55v's on the GPU. Had to test each card as a single card install to make sure they both could reach the same oc speeds, and they did. Then installed them in SLI. I have these babies oc'd to 730MHz on the core(s) & 840MHz on the memory. Each was able to reach 20MHz more. I just reduced them to be a bit safer. I mean I could care less if they burn up where I have them set. But running them any faster, I might as well just have thrown them away, HEHE.

Anyway, I am nearly satisfied. Running on High Quality for the Textures and 16xSLI for the AA and setting the water to 4, it looks alright. Well, having no jaggies anywhere as far as the eye can see is flat out awesome for my IQ tastes. Water at 4 still doesn't look as good as ATI's water=2. And the biggest IQ difference between the X850XTPE and these two in SLI are the land textures. ATI's land textures are flat out incredible. They are brighter, crisper, and more detailed.

But all in all, these will suffice until Uncle Sam takes a dump into my bank account. I am them going to pick up the DFI RDX3200 Crossfire mobo and a X1950XT, maybe two of them. I will sell this DFI LanParty UT SLI-DR, the two eVga 7900GT KO SC's, and an FX-53 in a no reserve bidding auction. What they sell for is what they sell for. If we have any nVidia m8s here, I will be happy to cut a steal deal. Of course I will remove the vmods so the factory heatsink(s) can be used. Unless water cooling is what they do.

Eh, who knows, I may just talk myself into keeping what I have until the spring of '08. I have plans for a new build then. Sad part about this is, I have never been able to talk myself into being satisfied with less IQ than ATI gives. I am so damn fickle when it comes to this shit, it is embarrassing. I know there are m8s that would love to have this setup. I envy you guys that can be satisfied with less than the best IQ. Hell, this is a game after all and mainly used for killing each other in our virtual skies. Why I give a shit about how the IQ looks I don't know. As long as the sim runs smooth is all that really matters. It is a bloddy addiction I tell you. And I am easily addicted. Been down that road nearly all my life. Why I still have the wife I have is a miracle unto itself.

So yes m8, I did switch back to nVidia for the time being. Please be gentle on me. My feelings get hurt real easily, HEHE.

Being something of a Mod junkie myself, (yeah, and other kinds too) I feel your pain. I think we may need to talk about them there nvidia cards M8, those speeds your talking about have me a little bit aroused! I may even look into water cooling.

They're coming to take me away hehe, they're coming to take me away!