Anyone ever had a blank white screen?

FlatSpinMan

Hi guys,

Two days ago my error prone BenQ 17inch TFT monitor decided it would show only white. No text, images, nothing - just white. First I thought it was some virus or something, however even when the monitor was turned on independently of the computer it came up pure white so I concluded it was a monitor problem.

As I was contemplating whether to drop it or kick it off the balcony it suddenly flashed into normal functionality which lasted until about three hours ago when it started the whole routine again. This time it remained white through several restarts. Finally I just turned the PC on and walked away. When I came back in about 30 minutes thr windows screensaver was on. Tentatively I moved the mouse to see if it would work and sure enough, everything is hunky dory again. I don't get it! I'm probably going to buy a new monitor - not BenQ again as this is the third monitor we are on after only 2-3 years use (happily they or the PC company replaced them free as they were under warranty).

So, I have a monitor. It mostly works but sometimes it only display a blank white image. Restarting, checking connections, the programmes running, have no affect it seems. Any ideas?

Sounds like the panel, usually when a GPU goes off line the pannel/screen gives you an error message to that effect.

Correct. If the video card is the problem, the screen will display "no signal." Sounds like the monitor, or a display setting issue. Have you tried booting the computer in Safe Mode?"

Hi lads,

Thanks for your comments. I can't boot the PC in 'safe mode' because if the screen fails then nothing at all displays so I couldn't see anything to change it. Unfortunately we ditched the old CRT monitor a couple of years ago so there's nothing else to test it on.

The monitor is working at the moment (touch wood) and I agree that it seems to be the monitor itself rather than the computer or graphics card. I did a google and found nothing much other than that perhaps the wiring inside the monitor is loose. It's no longer under warranty and we'll probably just get a new, non-BenQ one, so I might have a look inside.

BG - Happy New Year!. The holiday was pretty good except the weather - 10 -15 degrees centigrade on average the whole time I was there! Not the summer I was hoping for.