am i safe behind a router?

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

i have just replaced a usb broadband modem for a router.

my question is:

this now seems to make the connection an "always on" connection. with the usb modem i used to click on an icon to connect when i wanted to use the internet. when i was finished, i drop the connection.

i have not installed any software for the router (by voyager 220v), just plugged it in and away it went. should i install the software that came with it?

the modem was supplied for a "business" connection but was not required

As long as your router has NAT (Network Address Translation) enabled, you should be fine, although I always backup my router with a software firewall, either Windows Firewall included in SP2 or Nortons Internet Security (or Zone Alarm, or whatever you wish.) Some software firewalls are better then others, but NIS and ZA are among the top of the list in my opinion. The more layers of defense you have, the harder it will be for hackers to get in. That is however a double-edged sword...as you will have to provide a path through all that defense for programs like games servers, etc.