Some Wind Over The Atlantic

SkyPup

Took a few shots of the instrument panel during our eastbound Atlantic crossing Friday night.  In the second photo, in the upper left corner of the nav display "GS626  TAS463  288/174"  is ground speed 626 knots, true air speed 463 knots, wind from 288 degrees at 174 knots.  With that nice tailwind, we arrived in Rome in record time.  Of course, coming home the next day was another story....

post-424-0-12984500-1383055228_thumb.jpg

post-424-0-87414100-1383055245_thumb.jpg

Lear45 with a max operating ceiling of 51000', I believe the entire Lear range have this ceiling, we are limited to not above 49000' because of cosmic radiation but I have never gone above 45000', shame because if you take a pic of the altimeter at FL510 Bombardier will issue a '51 club' pin.

Lovely little jet and it has fighter like performance because the wing is actually from a swiss fighter design P19 I think, though Mmo is only .81 Vne 330kts..........fanfuckingtasticwheel brakes though, it's like hitting a wall so not bad short field performance for landing and we still have TR's

Found a video of the P-16, if you are familiar with the Learjet you will recognise the wing planform and distinctive tip tanks, the Lear 45 has winglets instead of tip tanks but the basic wing I believe is unchanged.

P-16

AFA_P-16.jpg

Early Learjet

27139-004-055B4DC8-300x209.jpg

Learjet45, an actual one from my company fleet.

PlanespottersNet_060739.jpg

45 cockpit, not my photo

1002469.jpg

A bit cramped for my fat 6'3" ass, I really want to move on to something bigger with a flight attendant.

Acyually the Learjet seat should be banned under some sort of anti-torture legislation, it is one of the most uncomfortable, it only takes 1.5 hours sat in before the eyes well up with tears from the pain.