Duxford 2011 Accident Report

[rgmw]largie

Hi guys

Not been round much recently ;- moving house, jobs & country (well, England to Wales) since start of the year. Currently living out of a suitcase in South Wales while the rest of the family still in the North of England. Bah.

Anyway I came across this earlier and haven't seen it previously ;- it's the AAIB report on the collision that happened at the end of Sunday's show between the Skyraider & Mustang.

http://www.aaib.gov....-AZDP 02-12.pdf

Hope you find it interesting.

Cheers

Dave

• 2. Administrators

Thanks Largie, we'd been wondering where you were.

It does rather beg the question of why someone with only 15 hours on type was flying formation aerobatics (for want of a better word) and also why someone with 25,920 hrs experience having had an issue with the same manoeuvre the previous day made the same error again, except this time with catastrophic results.

Judging by the pictures, I guess we're lucky they're not both dead.

Jabo

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Largie,

Thanks for that M8, an interesting read for sure. The disparity of "hours on type" (15 vs 1035) probably had almost as much to do with the collision as nationality ! <_<

To be fair to the French gentleman, in my experience Mustangs DO tend to fall out of the sky on the odd occasion :blink:

~S~ Painless.

PS: When are you going to get yourself back up into the virtual skies again ?