Upgrade.

Shadrach

Oh Lordy. I'm dithering over £36. I'm upgrading as follows Athlon II 5000 to a Phenom Quad 965 and 8600GTS to a GeF GTX 560 Ti. My motherboard is a cheap £30 job so that will be replaced by an Asus AM3 M4N98TD. So I also have to get some DDR3 RAM. I am thinking that should make a reasonable, balanced system with a bit of headroom for future improvement plus everything is designed for over clocking. I didn't want to spend over £500 and the best prices I could find are from Ginger6 who I have used before at £456.62 or Scan Computers at £492.40 for identical componants. The Scan price includes £8 postage (which is free from Ginger) plus Scansure insurance at £14 which covers any accidental componant damage I may cause when installing the bits.

So what are the chances of me screwing up? I've done quite a bit of fiddling about inside computers without mishap but it could always happen. And then again £36 would pay for Clod.

Oh well - I have both shopping baskets ready and I will hit go with one of them before I go to bed.

Well almost every one of us has been at this point at one time.

And most of us clicked the button.

Knowing full well we might very well crash on take off.

But in the end, we made it back even if it did require a bit of banter with the tower to make it successful.

So are ya ready?

Can you make the leap of faith?

Are you capable of enjoying the feeling of success, once this adventure is completed?

If not close down your browser and call Dell. :laughing7:

I tossed around that board myself a couple weeks ago, but decided, to go with a crossfire board instead.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130274

Yeah, my finger keeps straying to the 'stuff the insurance, I'll have a beer', option. I just prefer AMD, nVidia and SLI to Intel, ATI and Crossfire, although I suspect that latter may well be better, probably for the same reasons I would rather have a British or Italian motorcycle than Japanese. Agricultural and masochistic are words that come to mind.

• 2. Administrators

Nothing wrong with your choices m8, it's all personal preference, I prefer Intel and nVidia but my decision is no more or less valid than anybody elses. Personally, i like the insurance option, but again, that's just me. Flip a coin if you really can't decide.

Jabo

Hooray! My computer bits came today. Don't know how well Clod will run but card and board look the part for sure. Real beasties. I have a big old biege tower to put them in and I was going to spray it a nice bright red but I don't think I am going to contain myself that long.

Not working today so thought I'd do the computer. Wow, impressive. I now have everything on maximum and antialiasing set to 32 and the Black Death track runs at a solid 64fps (I have sync on) except when the cluster bombs drop when they drop to around 40 for about a second. Excellent.