Sound Card Help...advise

JensenPark

too you computer geeky type Dogz:

is it easy for a non-computer geeky type Dog like me to take out and install a new sound card?

I've come to the realization that it is the old audigy card...and not the mike that is the problem with me sounding so bad on TS.

Appreciate you advise. If easy to do, I'll just go nab one and do it myself and save a few bucks.

And unfortunately be back flying with you lovely gentlemen soon.

Kelly

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hmmmm.....yes, it is.

The actual physical taking out of the old and installation of the new is easy and should not be frustrating in the least.

What CAN be frustrating is the installation of the drivers and setting the soundcard up. However, a gentleman of your patience should have no problem :confused3:

I would recommend you uninstalling the current drivers before shutting down and doing the physical stuff. Then follow the installation instructions......

What operating system are you using? XP? What card are you looking to buy? You really don't need to spend megabucks.

Does your computer have onboard sound? If so, this is perfectly adequate for gaming and other uses...I use it now after having soundcards for years.

Does your computer have onboard sound? If so, this is perfectly adequate for gaming and other uses...I use it now after having soundcards for years.

Yeah, I agree with Sid. Do you really need a sound card JP?

Fiddling with your 'puter? Well I do it and I haven't blown anything yet and I'm a bit of a dunce so gotta be worth a bit of DIY :)

Windows 7.

had onboard sound...but it didn't work with my 5.1 speakers or 5.1 headset...

Put in my old 10 year old card for those...and I guess it's kinda dying.

Figured a card is only $70 or so...(40 quid) so cheap considering the $$ and everything I've put into the game so far (4 computers, 2 trips to UK, 3 monitors, 8 or so video cards, being drugged and raped by Painless while in UK, trips to see BG, getting a tree for anniversary because of jealously over the game and so on...)

• 1. DDz Quorum

The onboard wouldn't work if it had been disabled in the BIOS. The person that installed the sound card would have disabled the onboard for the card to work properly. It is a relatively easy job to restart it.

Be careful with Creative soundcards and Windows 7 - the drivers weren't compatible, although they may have caught up now.

I still prefer using a sound card too JP. When I did my rebuild a couple of months ago, I tried on board sound and had all kinds of problems with TS.

So I went and got this card from New Egg Canada. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102024&cm_re=Creative_sound_cards-_-29-102-024-_-Product

It uses the most up to date drivers

• 2. Administrators

I think the creative problem is sorted now, although the vista drivers should work in any case.

I'm using onboard sound without much in the way of problems unless I start fiddling with it.

Jabo