Memory matters- looking to upgrade to 2GB

delta7

I think that since the last patch my machine could run better with additional memory.

I currently run 2* 512s generic memory ( 1 is crucial ) so was wondering wether to buy an additional 2*512 or better to buy 2* 1G and sell my old memory - I have always used crucial memory and dont overclock. Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

I was thinking of doing this a couple of months ago as well, and mentioned it to Quazi (iirc) on TS. Quazi suggested looking at how much of the RAM was actually currently being used (by bringing up the task manager-performance tab) after playing IL2, if it didn't use up all of the RAM then getting more (than the 1Gig I had) would be of no value.

I tried that and found that not all of the RAM had been used even after a mission using the Leningrad map (it was close though).

So I don't think IL2 really needs more than 1 Gig of RAM, but you should do that verification just in case you're "topping out".

PS- an additional thought just occured to me: are you using the fastest RAM your motherboard and CPU can support? Until recently I was using PC2700 DDR (rated for 166MHz), I recently upgraded to PC3200 (200MHz) which my motherboard is rated for and which my CPU XP2500 Barton is not rated for but can run at 195 MHz. Upgrading allowed me to reach a decent (stable) overclock.

Replacing your RAM with faster RAM may well be an option to consider if you are in that type of situation.