Keyboard Types Incorrect Characters - Kanji?

Snacko

This has been bugging me since even Win XP 64, and Now Win 7 64, and I have even changed keyboards from a Saitek to a Logitech since. Here is what happens. In only Lockon and IL2 (that I have noticed) these keyboard keys type the wrong characters so are not recognized by the game's key assignments. None of this happens in Windows or any other program that I have noticed.

` reports as kanji

[ reports as AT

] reports as [

\ reports as ]

= reports as PREV

Before, I just knew my keyboard didn't work sometimes and the that [, ], \, and = were all screwed up. But then today, I was posting on the DCS forums that the Waypoint command did not work. It as assigned to the LCtrl+` key. Someone posted that they had the same problem and when they assigned the key manually it typed in the word kanji,not the ` character. They also mentioned the other characters that I have listed. So, this was the first person and post I have ever seen on this same problem.

So, I just did a search on this Kanji key and it has something to do with typing Japanese characters. I checked my keyboard and regional language settings and all that I have is US English installed. Just one language set. So, what the heck is going on? I have been using Office 2002 for 8 years without this problem, but saw some post that mentioned something about it and kanji language settings. But it also is set to use English.

Arggg... Very strange problem. But I am having to now assign keystrokes for these keys myself in games, which is not a big issue. I just would rather fix the stupid keyboard problem than hack around it.

I found a solution to the keyboard character problem I have been having in the Logitech forums here.

Here's the fix. It's a problem with my TV Card remote control drivers I guess. Weird that it only shows it's ugly head when I am in these games. :unsure:

There's a more permanent solution to this issue you may be interested in trying, I stumbled on it after a couple of hours experimentation when I discovered the same problem in City of Heroes/Villains and my Saitek gamepad profiler.

If you use the Microsoft eHome remote/receiver (official media centre remote and USB receiver) you'll notice under your device manager you have a new device named Microsoft eHome MCIR 109 Keyboard; this is the cause of the tilde key not working. It also affects your plus, minus, parenthesis, hash, @, and slash keys remapping them to different functions. (some are even weird Kanji characters)

Solution is as follows and will not affect the functionality of your Media Centre remote:

1. Go into Device Manager -> Keyboards.

2. Right-click "Microsoft eHome MCIR 109 Keyboard", choose "Update Driver" ("Update Driver Software" on Vista).

3. Choose "Browse my computer for software" (XP users tell it not to install automatically and say you'll specify the location, then when it asks you where you would like it to search for drivers choose the option to choose from a list) then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

4. Make sure "show compatible hardware" is checked, then select "HID-compliant device" and click next. Click any remaining "OK" or "Finish" buttons after Windows has installed the driver.

By making it use the generic "HID-Compliant Device" driver it still retains whatever function it provided (although when testing I didn't find it gave ANY function, was more of a redundant device), but it will no longer interfere with games or applications which poll input in whatever specific manner causes them to be affected by this bug. Logitech staff might want to add this information to their knowledge base or sticky it somewhere for users of Microsoft's Media Centre Remote, as it will affect the G15 adversely in random games/applications otherwise.

I had to reboot after installing this generic HID Compliant Device. Then Lockon FC let me assign the correct keys.

Snack

• 1. DDz Quorum

I found a solution to the keyboard character problem I have been having in the Logitech forums here.

Good find Snacko, OK so it may be a rarely encountered issue but your finding this solution could save someone a lot of hair!

Google will pick this up so there is a chance it could help somebody else ;)