DangerDogz Move To Discord For Main Comms - Please Vote / Comment ×

Good bye Triplehead2go - Hello ATI 5000 Series cards :)

MadTrooper

I was about to go ahead and by the Matrox Triplehead2go, the box that spread your display on 3 monitors (quite expensive too) until I came across this:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/17618/4

Thanks to the new ATI Eyefinity technology (that supports up to 3 monitors), I will probably go for the ATI Radeon 5850 or the 5870 card (that supports directx 11). It works with games that support non-standard aspect ratios which is required for spanning across the display. I know that IL2 does.

• 2 weeks later...

hey MT! i think the idea is very good! after seeing your post i went and did a bit of research.

to be able to connect three monitors you need to have one monitor with Displayport. so u can connect two monitors to DVI and one to Displayport. adapter Displayport -> DVI or VGA will also work. another solution is to have two video cards.

i tried to connect two monitors to DVI and one to HDMI but that did not work. now i'm in a search for a DP -> DVI adapter. soon my triple head monster will be ready :matrix:

now all i need is to find some time and start flying again :-[

The active DP>DVI adapter is around $100, no 5850 or 5870 is below that in pricing so unless you're running a 5770/5750 or sumthin', not necessary. But I agree too though, running triple monitors require a bit of juice so crossfiring two 5770's would get you all the juice you need to run up to three 1920x1200 monitors without much drop in FPS. 5770's also scale like no other 5xxx card. If you're running a 5870, no need for a second card, atleast not for running IL-2. Just remember to run atleast 10.2 drivers, preferrably 10.3, since 10.3 has bezel adjustment incorporated(compensating for monitor bezels).

AMD Eyefinity Validated dongles(adapters).

Cheers!

Ok, well then my advice would be to run crossfire. The 57xx cards scale very well, perfect for CF. :) Personally, I'd only run triple monitors on over 3x1680x1020 on a single 5850 or above. Even then I'd have my doubts.... All 5xxx series have Eyefinity iirc but that doesn't mean that they have sufficient juice to run it for a picky FPS whore like myself. Working on a triple head too but then I'd have to atleast overclock that Q9550 a bit more to make sure it doesn't bottleneck the 5870 , at all. Paranoia? Naaah... :shaunv2:

HI Gec and Kimosabi,

Gec is this what you need ? http://sewelldirect.com/Accell-DisplayPort-to-DVI-Adapter-Cable.asp

if it is, it does not look expensive. I was away for a week and just say your post. If you can keep me posted on how you manage my friend. I did nt buy the new card yet but I plan on it.

Thanks.