AC adapter charges battery, but stopped running Lptp off AC power....

Enforcer57

Probably one of these technically impossible things that plague me, but this has suddenly come up in two cases; a friend's laptop, and my flashtrak photo viewer.

His laptop is about a yr old, and he can recharge the battery, but the wallpower isn't being sent to it. The battery power just gives out pretty quickly as it does in all these things. But then it shuts down.

Same thing with my Flash trak, which is a small hand held hard drive computer that can store and display photos and play music files. I got it used a couple of yrs ago, and it ran fine off AC until recently. The battery recharges but when it runs out after 20 or so min, no power anymore.

WTF? Is this in hte computers or in the adapters? Or has the Borg take over both of them?

• 1. DDz Quorum

As for the laptop, you can try and perform a kinda power-unit-reset this way:

- Unplug the power from the laptop.

- Remove the battery from the laptop.

Press-and-hold the laptop's Power button for some 10 seconds. (Yes, this may look silly, but it's a normal procedure... well, for HP laptops anyways... )

It might help...

Then again, it could just be broken you know... both of 'm could... loose wire? Or bad battery...

• 2. Administrators

Press-and-hold the laptop's Power button for some 10 seconds. (Yes, this may look silly, but it's a normal procedure... well, for HP laptops anyways... )

FT's correct, this sequence performs an ATX reset of the mainboard in the laptop (I believe you need to hold the button down for 20 secs in most cases. I go for 30 in all cases just in...erm...case)

Not sure it's going to help, but it's very useful if you have a laptop that won't come out of hibernation mode for example.

I'm a little uncertain what the problem is with the laptop though. How is the battery charging if the wall power is not being sent to it? Laptops generally have an auto power-off function if the battery discharges to a certain point without the mains plugged in (usually about 10%)