Dodgy, but funny...

I can just imagine the Cessna pilot sticking his middle finger out of the window as he went passed and shouting, "ASS-HAT!"

HELICOPTER CRASH - ALMOST

p.s. It would be good to know from our Professionals, like CaptJackG, on who had right of way there? Assuming either of them had looked around.

• 1. DDz Quorum

'Right of way'......jeez, in aviation terms that was close, perhaps negligent, surely? Cessna, Bell and local ATC?

Reminds me of a 'near hit' I experienced a short while ago involving the Air Ambulance helicopter...

I was attending a road traffic collision on a dual-carriageway (2 lanes going both ways) involving multiple vehicles and we had taken some time to extricate someone from a car. They needed to get to hospital quick so the helicopter was ordered on, arrived and circled whilst looking for somewhere to put down as close as possible. The police told us it was going to set down on the opposite carriageway, however that still had moving traffic. The police set about stopping the flow and put cars on nearby slip roads/ramps to stop the flow. This done, the helicopter started it's descent and was looking to land on the road about 30 yards away from us.

Picture GKs video now and put a car in place of the Cessna....

What the police didn't do was block a side road and lo and behold, a car drives onto the carriageway oblivious to the helicopter and drives along the descent path. The helicopter didn't see it as it was in a blind spot. As the heli was 30 yards away we looked and thought 'S@*t, Bad Thing...) and watched open mouthed as the car passed under the descending helo with about 15 feet to spare. The car drove on and the helo landed.

I spoke to the pilot shortly afterwards and he was very nonchalant about it, saying 'We saw him...'

Yeah, right.....