Help identify a movie

Dagger

Hello gents, I was hoping you would help me find a movie that a saw a small clip of on TV.

This was an artistic movie made in the 60's I'd say and the small portion I saw had

the testing launch of a V1 rocket. There were a bunch of scientists and officers in

a bunker and they were all observing the launch.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Missing a close parantheses in the link there, Sid.

It didn't want to play, so I removed the '_(film)' bit off the address - each time I copied the address and pasted it, the last curvy bit, close bracket/parantheses always appeared in black not blue. The reference to the film is at the end of the first paragraph.

YW Dagger, saw it years ago but it stuck in mind, particularly the ending.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Operation Crossbow, excellent film. Remember watching it years ago. Funny how they had a pilot in one of the V1's.

From Wiki, V1s did fly with a person piloting:

'The first test flight of the V-1 was in late 1941 or early 1942 at Peenemünde.[6]

A myth arose that early guidance and stabilisation problems were resolved by a daring test flight by Hanna Reitsch in a V-1 modified for manned operation. The myth entered popular consciousness from Reitsch's fictional exploits in the George Peppard film Operation Crossbow.

Reitsch's first flights in the modified V-1 Fieseler Reichenberg were late in the war when she was asked to work out why test pilots were unable to land it and had died in landing attempts. Her discovery after simulated landing attempts at high altitude where there might be air space to recover, was that the craft had an extremely high stall speed and the previous pilots with little high speed experience had attempted their approaches much too slowly. Her recommendations of much higher landing speeds were then introduced in training new Reichenberg volunteer pilots. The Reichenbergs were air-launched rather than fired from the catapult ramp as erroneously portrayed in "Operation Crossbow".'