MSN virus

sged

Couple days ago my son clicked on a link that appeared in chatbox while talking to a friend of his, since then my pc was bugged by a trojan...

I had several warnings from my AV program, moved the bloody thing to chest, but it keeps appearing when the pc is started up.

My guttfeeling tells me that the virus resides in the windows 32 folder "sigh", so AV program can't remove the entire folder since it's in use.

This morning, pc starts up, bit slower then usual, then finally goes to desktop, and all I can do is stare at the pic I placed there, but nothing else, no folders, no bar, no start button, no nothing...

I've tried to repair the system with the disk, but at the end, when it says "windows starting up, be patient, nothing more happens, that screen was there for about an hour, before I rebooted, to have the same result at the end.

Anyone knows what I can do to fix this, or am I looking at a full reinstall of windows?

thx

• 1. DDz Quorum

Try starting Windows in Safe mode.

(After the Bios screen has gone, press F8 repeatedly, a start menu should appear, from which you can choose 'Safe mode'. Note: you won't have Internet access in that mode...)

But, you'd first need to get some cleaners downloaded from a different pc, and put it on a CD (Spybot Search and Destroy, and if you can identify the virus, a manual cleaning procedure...)

Good Luck...

Man, this is a virus from hell!!

When I start up in safe modus, all goes well untill welcomescreen....have to be very fast to click on admin istrator or my name, when I can, it gives me an error msg, and pc promptly restarts again...can't even see what the error msg says lol...

I guess this trojan was build to piss ppl off in a serious way, not even letting us try to repair.

I guess this will be the end and I'll have to reinstall everything again dangit!