Please help a fellow DD in distress

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Here's the thing. Yesterday (Wednesday) the PC was working great, no problems, everything ticketyboo. Today, nothing, zip, nada...well, you get the picture. Blasted machine won't even POST. I've checked the power to the PSU, PSU connections to mainboard, removed/reseated the memory and the graphics card. Removed every non-essential component, still nothing. HEEEEELP!

Not possible to fly tonight as a result - seriously not happy.

~S~ Miffed of Yorkshire#

PS. Now, as result of having the case in bits, the front of the case has fallen over and yanked both wires from the power switch AAAARRGGGHHHH. Question, if I short the two wires from the power switch, does that fool the system into thinking that the switch has been operated?

PPS. Stuff it. I'm going to bed. Any suggestions for tomorrow gratefully received.

Now, as result of having the case in bits, the front of the case has fallen over and yanked both wires from the power switch AAAARRGGGHHHH. Question, if I short the two wires from the power switch, does that fool the system into thinking that the switch has been operated?

The anwer is yes. shorting will work. Note you'll need to check whether the stretch dislodged the mobo end of that run of cable.

As far as the post is concerned, let's check a few things:

Unplug the PC, after first setting the switch on the PSU to 0. Then plug it back in and look inside the case when you switch the PSU to 1. Do any LEDs light up on the mobo? Does the CPU fan, or any I/O fan, twitch at all?

They don't switch fully on until you boot, but you normally see a little movement when you energise the motherboard. And on most boards LEDs will come on.

If none of that happens then it's either the power supply or the mobo. It might be something to do with switching, but if no activity occurs when you energise the board I'd check the PSU first. If you have a spare PSU you could swap them out and check to see if the mobo is damaged.

Let's know about the energising part first.

B

Also this will be a pain in the ass, but take everything out of the mobo apart from the CPU and 1 Stick of ram and try and get the post to work...if it does, add a hard drive, and repeat, and keep going till it fails, when it fails, theres the problem.

Also reset the CMOS...pull the battery for 5 mins (this forces a hard reset of the settings) put it back in and fire it up, everything that may have changed in the bios will now have reset to default.

• 2. Administrators

Thanks for the suggestions chaps.

OK, all working again now, it appears that the power switch connection was already faulty as five minutes with a soldering iron this evening and hey presto!

And now for the apology part - I, Jabo, wish to apologise to all the DDz who were online last night and witnessed my outburst. All I can offer in my defence is that I was under significant duress so if I offended anybody, I'm sorry.

~S~ Jabo

Thanks for the suggestions chaps.

OK, all working again now, it appears that the power switch connection was already faulty as five minutes with a soldering iron this evening and hey presto!

And now for the apology part - I, Jabo, wish to apologise to all the DDz who were online last night and witnessed my outburst. All I can offer in my defence is that I was under significant duress so if I offended anybody, I'm sorry.

~S~ Jabo

Glad you got going again so easily m8. Sometimes it is just the simplest things that go wrong.

As for your outburst, I don't remember anyone getting upset, only sympathetic.

See you soon

B