erco is Visting Montreal Tuesday and Wednesday

erco

Hey Erco,

Montreal is my hometown- I don't live there anymore, but can give you a couple of suggestions.

You can check out the "vieux port" (the old port of Montreal)- Get off at either Place-D'armes or Champs-de-mars and head south. The old port is the original city of Montreal built of fieldstone housing and narrow cobblestone streets- this is most accessible from Place-D'armes. The port proper has undergone a lot of renovation in the last few years and is perhaps best enjoyed in the summer, but I believe there are still alot of activities in the updated quays along the waterfront.

Another option, if you like walking (and dress warmly) would be to take the #11 bus going West from Mont-Royal subway station up Mount-Royal. Get off at Lac des Castors (Beaver Lake). You can go ice skating there or continue past the ponds and head towards the lodge. There's an observation platform in front of the lodge which overlooks downtown and the St-Lawrence. If you feel in the mood for more walking you can double-back and take a path that winds down the south face of the mountain and ends up at the top of Peel Street. Go down Peel Street (look left and you'll see my alma mater, the Institute of Air and Space Law) to get to Sherbrooke St... find nearest bar on St-Catherine's and renew your anti-freeze level. For a true experience of Montreal, go to the Peel Pub at Peel and St-Catherine's and buy the cheapest plate of [gross] spaghetti anywhere- count the number of under-age [i.e., less than 18 yr old] patrons.

There's no shortage of places to drink, from Crescent Street (4 streets west of Peel Street) in the St-Catherine area to Prince Arthur, just off Boulevard St-Laurent (St-Lawrence Boulevard, AKA "the Main")...

If you have any specifics in mind let me know, and I'll try my best to answer,

C_G

Wow, that is some building. I am not overly religious, but I always enjoyed large cathedrals and such buildings, very few such buildings of grandure are built, certainly not these days. The post-reformation ones are not that grand over here. There is one from the 1100s in my old hometown that is stunning.

Notre-Dame Basilica is in the Vieux Port area, closer to Place-D'armes. That's likely the more accessible of the two options I gave you, depending on your hotel.

Like BG said, most everyone in Montreal is bilingual so it shouldn't be a problem.

Have a good time :)

Couple of "Montreal" things you might want to eat: a smoked-meat sandwich and a "poutine" (pronounced "poo-teen"). Don't have both in the same meal or you may suffer a coronary ;)