Thinking of setting up a wireless network

Cold_Gambler

I'm thinking of setting up a wireless network at my new (old) home so that I can game and Dawn can email with her Apple PowerBook simultaneously, also the room I want to set up the computer in doesn't currently have a phone jack and I'd rather not have to pay thieving bast... I mean the telephone company put a jack in.

Problem is... I know nothing about what I need to buy/do.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks-

• 1. DDz Quorum

Firstly:

Will it be cable or ADSL?

I recommend Linksys routers/adsl modem/routers as they have a good company behind them (Cisco) and work well.

You need to consider the range, how far from the cable/ADSL connection will your gaming PC be?

As it's an older house you need to be mindful of signal degradation through the walls, and any extensions or arches that have been put in will be steel reinforced concrete lintels or RSJ beams. These will have an adverse effect on signal range too.

On the PC end you need to buy a USB 2.0 wireless adapter, preferably one with a cable that is designed for a desktop (as opposed to a laptop which tend to resemble a pen drive).

You have flexibility with the placement of these adapters and can therefore optimise your signal.

An example is my sons adapter (a netgear one) if I lower it two feet the signal goes from poor (6Mbs) to excellent (24+Mbs)...just two feet closer to the router downstairs can make a huge difference!

Generally it is best to buy stuff from a single manufacturer, so all Linksys for instance.

However if someone has found particular models work well together than that will work for you too.

Once the hardware is installed and the network is working you then need to lock it down from a security point of view:

1. Disable SSID broadcast after changing it from manufacturers default.

2. Enable WEP or WPA.

3. Implement MAC filtering so only pre-defined clients are allowed access to your network.

I can put together a shopping list for you, and based upon that a guide to setting it all up if you want :)

Excellent! Thanks Rog :)

It will be ADSL- I should be connected at the latest "before June 6" Woohoo! As to the house construction, I believe the internal walls are wood-frame, lathe + plaster, covered with drywall. (RSJ beams?)

A shopping list would be great. Linksys sounds fine, they sell them at the Staples nearby so I can pick up what I need on my lunch hour :)

Hope to flying again soon.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Ok Angus, I'll put together a list for you, I'll compile it from the Staples online listing if they have one ;)

Does Dawn's MAC have an Airport wireless adapter too, or will you need to get a linksys/netgear/whatever adapter for that too?

Feel free to nag me too, by email if you wish, in view of your expected connection date. I should find time to do this by end of UK play on Monday as I have sod all else to do apart from re-discovering my wife Jane :)