Removing Stock CPU Cooler

Klinger

Cheers Bbloke. Its an OCZ Vanquisher, its on now but what a PITA it was. I dont rate those expanding plastic plugs much!

I chucked in a X-Fi Gamer sound card, 2 gig of Corsair PC6400 and a 600w PSU while I was at it.

Frame rates on Black Death track are 19, 35 and 61 @ 1680x1050. Which is exactly what they were before, lol.

Seems a little snappier on loading though.

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Bbloke,

I just spoke to Klinger on the phone and his computer has crashed completely.

He fitted all of his new bits except the Graphics card then tried a bit of clocking.

All went black and he says he may be a bit late for tonight's flying. :(

He asked me to let folks know because he obviously can't get on line at the moment.

~S~ Painless

Cheers guys - I know you are right, but I could not resist having a fiddle with it. A little knowlege is a dangerous thing, lol.

Core 2 chips are supposed to be well clockable. I did'nt set the voltages high enough to handle the higher speeds.

A simple cmos reset fixed it. I'll run default speeds for the moment.

Anyway, forget that for now. I've got another can of worms with the sound. Speakers work. No mic, no headphones.

New sound car is a Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer. 4 jacks, green, grey, orange and one digital.

Speakers are ok in green. Mic in orange and headpones in grey dont work. I dont see how to configure those jacks in

the creative console. Any ideas?

I'll take a look into the soundcard. I've never liked those with not enough jacks in them but there's probably a switch somewhere turning them from outputs to inputs somewhere.

I found you can tighten the ram timings up if you increase the DDR voltage.

Ok, the mic has to go in the white jack, which I thought was digital only. Still cant get the headphones to work in the grey jack (line out 2)

No probs. I'll splice them into the speaker line.

Tested t/s with the game running and all is well. Thanks Painless.

Time to fit the 3870 512mb. :rolleyes:

@ BB, you have just confirmed what I suspected with the timings, that probably did cause the crash. My multiplyer is locked, so I can only

push up the FSB (formally the KGB :)).

The work around solution I came up with was to set the the Creative panel on 4.1 and set the game on stereo.

I get sound from the headset and the speakers, and the mic works. Good enough. :)

My final findings with the CPU are that the E6300 is indeed a great clocker.

Memory voltage -