TBone - VR Frame Rate Issue

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

If you can help, please review the below from the chat bar.... I have pasted the chat (excluding a couple of links to videos)

The story so far.......

xTbonex: Well, ive not been able to fix my IL2 issue, Ive tried all kinds of configurations, I suspect the VR tether cable may be damaged, although odd that its just IL2 with the issues. seeing as a new tehert is about £130, (yep, for a cable) thats me out... cant justify paying that for a cable.

xTbonex: only other thing I can think it might be is an issue with the GPU drivers. but not sure how to revert back to the older ones.

Friar: @Tbone - do you get the same low rates when using the flat screen?

Friar: anything on the forums - if a gpu driver has screwed stuff a lot of people will be moaning

xTbonex: im just having a look with VR not active.

xTbonex: no its just the VR by the look of it, im getting 80-90fps on the monitor with no VR plugged in, I will try and rol back the GPU drivers, come to think of it there was an Nvidia update a few days ago that I installed., but I will have to do that later as I have to work today.

xTbonex: when I boot up in VR, the loading screen stutters a lot and im getting artifacts all over th screen around the edges of the black box that comes up with IL2 logo in it, the VR just doesnt pan smoothy at all, its definitely the display thats causing the lag. the PC isnt breaking a sweat at all.

xTbonex: ive also tried reseating the cable into the headset but thats not fixed it either, gave it another test with the driver roolback also and its still a problem.

xTbonex: it does appear to be the headset I have to say, I ran it for 15 mins earlier on screen, and was getting a staggering 235fps. if the green digits were accurate, and that was maxed out settings

xTbonex: its not a hardware issue, as I have an i9 129000, and an RTX 2080 with 32Gb DDR5

Beagle: I finally resolved my VR issues by re flashing my headset to an earlier firmware version. All good now. 

xTbonex: I may try re-installing the Oculus app a bit later. but im running out of ideas atm. at the very least im going to have another tweak of the settings in it

Beagle: Tbone try working your way through this guy’s recommendations in your set up. I found his guides for IL2 and DCS setting up in VR to be very helpful. It’s worth a shot if you find yourself running around in circles with the VR stuff. 

Beagle: Oops sorry. Forgot to add the link. https://www.gamersbynight.com/il2-vr-settings-optimization/

xTbonex: I think I have fixed it, I wiped every trace of IL2 off my system and did a clean re-install, it must have been something in the settings or mods folder screwing things up. I manually deleted everything this time and started over

xTbonex: had to remap everything, but thats fine, at least its working and im back up to 80-90 fps.

xTbonex: that was frustrating. and sorry for the whingefest chaps. its only taken 3 days to locate and fix the issue. just glad it wasnt the VR set that had the issue. hard to believe one or 2 corrupt files could create so much havoc

xTbonex: on 2nd thoughts maybe not, but... I thinnk its the icons mod messing it up, i installed it and its playing up again

xTbonex: it wasnt that, I have no idea what it is, it worked for a while, I tried a restart and the problem re-occured, im going to try one more clean install of Oculus and IL2 after that Im done I think

xTbonex: I ran a diag on Steam VR yesterday, and I can literally see the frame rates tanking on boot up, they never recover or go above 30FPS after that, something is clearly hapening on boot up. I tried to get open composite working but the game wont load, I used to use that on my old rig to bypass Steam VR

Friar: Do you have any other games? are they the same?

xTbonex: No its just IL2 thats playing up, everything else is fine. which is very frustrating I have to say

xTbonex: teh weird thing is I didnt actually change any settings, it just decided the other day to not play along

• 2 weeks later...

OK I appear to have solved the issue.

after several un-necessary reinstalls and a lot of searching, I appear to have stumbled across the fault by accident.
so it may have been this or a combination of things I had setup that it didnt like.

My IL2 game is on steam. Just for the record.

I reset and re-installed Oculus Tray tool, and made sure ASW was 'off', (supersampling on OTT is PC dependent, but I have that set to 1.5 in any case) still wasnt working, adjusting IL2 settings provided a few extra frames on its own by configuring settings, but not enough for smooth play.

Seeing as there are many ways to boot a VR/VR supported game, and Oculus software relies on Steam Vr also. I started experimenting with different boot up methods.  instead of booting through Oculus and allowing that to open steam, I loaded steam and Steam VR, and booted it IL2 through Steam VR. instead of relying on Oculus to start the process.

Seems Oculus software failed to load Steam VR correctly somehow (Just for IL2, all my other games and apps work fine booting through Oculus),  my PC appears to have been treating IL2 as a background task. even though in task manager, it was on the primary list.

I have reset all my Steam VR settings to default, and am using OTT now to configure the sampling and graphics., so VR resolution in Steam is just set to 100% even though my PC can totally handle more.

So the process I followed was:

Open OTT (Tray Tool)
Open Oculus
Boot up Steam VR in Oculus
Load IL2.

Its a faff, but that process appears to be working.
happy 80FPS all day today...

I have also managed to max out the settings in IL2 as well, and it still runs 80fps, so its 100% a software issue and not hardware. However, and I never fully understood this, but in the IL2 settings I am now using MSAA, instead of FSAA.

• Like 3