F irefox Bookmarks

Blairgowrie

After I let Bbloke in to my computer yesterday via VNC Ultra, all my bookmarks for Firefox have vanished. I think he may have kidnapped them!

The favourites are still sitting in Documents and Settings but I can't get them to show up in Firefox. I have tried importing them but the import program seems to be looking for an exe file.

Geek assistance urgently required please and I want my bookmarks back please Bbloke. You never know where they have been.

Start/My Computer/ C drive/Documents and Settings/ "User Name"/Local Settings/Application Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles

You'll find a wacky folder named something like 9y1d9qf7.default.

Now if I remember correctly all you need to do is copy the file from your ghost backup into your current install and it should be good to go.

Rog?

The file path Shadow gave you needs amending... drop the local settings.

Here's mine at work:

C:\Documents and Settings\Chris.WESTBROM\Application Data\Mozilla\F irefox\Profiles\i2w6xa41.default

I can see bookmarks and bookmarkbackup

• 1. DDz Quorum

Restoring is pretty much as Chuck said (with Chris' amendments).

Look for the whacky profile name (this is a randomly generated name) if you have more than one...then you are in for a little fun!

I haven't yet found a way to see which profile it is using...

Assuming you show only one, then you use the ghost browser to find the backed up folder and restore it's contents, if you have re-installed Firefox since the backup then the profile name will have changed...

This is handy:

Mozbackup for FF and TB

• 1. DDz Quorum

I had to re-install firefox the other day.

When downloading it would freeze until the dl had started.

Backup bookmarks to desktop (Bookmarks->Organise->File-Export -- save to desktop).

I ran the un-installer, then went in to program files and removed the mozilla/f irefox folder.

Then in C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox - remove the firefox folder.

Then in C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox - remove the firefox folder.

You are now ready to re-install a clean fresh copy of Firefox.

Restore the bookmarks folder from back up:

Bookmarks->Organise->File-Import -- point to file saved to desktop).

In your case Jim you would use ghost to recover the bookmark file to your desktop, then import.

You could also delete all the firefox files as per above, then restore from an earlier back up.

This would ensure no corrupt files were left laying around (assuming backed up ones were ok).

Thanks Rog. I now have it unistalled. I may look a bit further and see if I can find something that deletes the Registry entries before I reinstall Firefox.

I use AVG for Anti Virus but decided to try Active Scan by Panada. It found 5 viruses and disinfected them!!! It was only a few months ago that I did a reformat.