Cool things seen today.

Streak

I work very close to a small airport & had to go pay some bills during lunch today.

As I walk out the door I can hear that deep throaty sound of a big motor overhead, not the sound of the usual small planes. I looked up and there was the deep blue fuselage & checkered cowling of what looked like a P-47 circling low & slow over our building.

What a beautiful sight. :)

• 1. DDz Quorum

:)

I live in close proximity to the flight path for the Imperial War Museum Duxford, home of quite a few Spitfires.

This time of the year I often hear the sound of a Merlin or Griffon, and the wife is accustomed to my running outside staring up at the heavens in a way I used to regard her....

This time of the year I often hear the sound of a Merlin or Griffon, and the wife is accustomed to my running outside staring up at the heavens in a way I used to regard her....

You married a bird named Merlin?

I was working in a downtown Edmonton office a few years back, when I heard the roar of several Pratt & Whitney's nearby. Lo and behold, I see a B-17G go flying past my window (giving them a good shake, BTW), as it was giving out rides for charity. I was on the 8th floor! It was a CAF plane up for a local airshow.

I can't wait for the water bomber company to begin warming up for forest fire season: they use several B-26's (former A-26A's) - nice sound, and they tend to practice low over our town!

I think I've seen that same B-17 Rattler. IIRC, She's called Sentimental Journey.

They had her & some others down here a couple years ago for a little show they called "Props over Provo" to help raise funds for a bigger hanger when the Utah wing moved from the Salt Lake airport to the one in Provo.

We got to see her up close, inside & out. Took many pictures too, but couldn't afford to go for a ride at the time. :(

They were also giving rides in a P-40 which I think is one of the planes that resides here. If I ever get another chance, I'm going to plunk down the money & go for it.

Here's a pick of one of the planes they had down here that day (looks like I haven't uploaded any of the others). The pilot had just landed & let us get an up close & personal look at her before they put-up the rope.

J-m0001.jpg