Jump to content

Got back into the hobby

Recommended Posts

Hadn't completed a kit since I was in my teens.  Got back into the hobby while I was away from the Dogz and isolated even further 'up north' a couple years ago.


(Sorry for the pic dump, been saving these up on my phone starting 2018, Finally got around to posting)


Started with an SBD.  Cheap kit, had to drill the dive brake holes myself.




Flight Officer Bean  reporting sir.




Bits n' Bobs half completed.




First ever attempt with an airbrush and mixing my own paint color. (couldn't find the right blue)




Assembly, first attempt at drybrushing on the cylinders as well. (cant even tell  :(  )


DON'T LOOK  I'M HIDEOUS!!   :crybaby2: (we'll just fix that in 'post')




As she sits today on the shelf.  (canopy is still a hot mess but I don't look too close)


  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also built around the same time period.   

 Airfix   Yak-9D     1/72


Only the 2nd attempt at painting pilots ever.



Masking Spinners.....

Yep, not a fan.



Official, period correct Yak9 Jig, right?

I read about it on an IL2 forum.  Seems Legit.   :geek: 


Masked and assembled.  (simple kit)


Had to learn how to putty and sand.   (hint, do NOT thin Tamya Grey with glue....)


Thought I'd be smart and use Blue Tak for the cammo masking.



Another learning mistake.


Overall passable for my 2nd go.



Decals and a shiny shelf does wonders.  (Mind the wing gap..  it's not shoddy Soviet workmanship, I just stuck it into a display case 1 size too small.)


  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple more.

First up, a Revell Mig3  1:72

Another inexpensive practice kit.


Seat weathering.


Great Decal!  


On the shelf.   (Fussing over cockpit details...  Why? just, Why?)   :icon_scratch:



Airfix P39-Q   1:72


Third go at pilot figures.   I think I'm getting the hang of it now.

Spent all that time getting the seat stippled just right, and then  when I glued the pilot on, it covered it all up.


More putty filler, but not as noticeable.  (Kit had gaping holes in the underside of the wings for the gunpods, but I wanted clean wing so...)

Lots of sanding fitting the wings to fuselage.  (get what you pay for I suppose.)

Only after the kit was glued did i realize it needed weight in the nose to sit properly. 

Snipped up a lead fishing weight and glued it in front of the nose gear. (hardly noticeable)


Also first attempt at weathering.  Overdid the gunsmoke.  Kit didn't come with a radio box aft of the pilot so I carved up a sprue and put it in.

Also the sharp eyed of you might see the next project was already on the go in the back ground.


As it sits today on the shelf.   Still needs decals..  Maybe one day, I won't be lazy.


  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The "Project"

Revel F4U-4  in 1:48   

It's been sitting on my shelf for at least 10 years before I got around to it.



So much easier to do larger pilot figures.


My messy workstation, I liked the cheapo airbrush so much I went out and got a decent gravity fed one from paasche.

Also did tests on spoons to get the color right.


I think it turned out well.


Kit had a gimmick, where the wings and gear were hinged.  Great idea 'in theory'

Wing joints broke, and the gear don't sit quite right.  (Gear does twist and fold like the real deal though)




And now for the hideous mistake that put it back on the shelf for months.

Didn't have varnish, so used the model builder 'Future Klear' trick, I saw on youtube...




Finally got back to it, and buffed and wet sanded as best I could.

Some decals were tiny, but went on great.



On the shelf with ordnance.  Extra drop tanks, were turned into napalm canisters. 

(Nose band did end up with some silvering.)


  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Its not so bad, as the kits are simple. But I have a magnifying lamp if I need it but it just makes my eyes cross. 

Here's my current setup. I've since organized a bit.   

Note the 69' Fastback in assembly.   I started that kit in 2001. (Hated the look of testors enamel so shelved it.  Its back on with acrylics.)


These little buggers were hard to see.   Yes they are bog standard army men. (were)

Mostly to try out some paint and brush techniques.



Getting a little wild.   Dollar store toys are cheap practice.



Close up on the Mustang.

First order was to prime and repaint over the metallic red seats.  :icon_puke_l:   Not sure what I was thinking back then.

Faux wood trim and 2 tone withe leather seats looks much better.   

Don't like the box art so Im going with a dark gloss blue finish.



The shelf of future possibilities.  (boxes for the yak, mig, and cobra still on the shelf.)

to be completed.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...