Me262 Jumo engines starting procedure

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hi all.

This topic has been chatted about a few times and others, like me, have got a successful method of starting these jet engines. This post is for those that haven't had a go and would like to. It is a very satisfying aircraft to start and fly and can be great fun. Because I couldn't grasp the method from the videos available online I found the easiest way to learn the procedure was to make an ingame .TRK video of the procedure being carried out on autostart conditions. The AI did everything in the order it is meant to be done, I then copied it.

The post below describing the start procedure is a copy of the Word document in the attached zip file and the video is a screen recording of the .TRK file in the zip file so you could choose either way of using the information here, from the post or from the zip file. If you use the documents in the zip file please read the accompanying README within.....!!

Before trying to start the engines

There are only two extra buttons to map, the two engine igniters. I have got them on my throttle because for me it makes it easier to hold them in whilst moving the throttle. If you wanted you could double map them with piston engine buttons eg. boost or supercharger because the 262 doesn't have either so they won't interfere with eachother.

It is important to select the 'Fuel regulator valve' in the 'Modifications' section during your aircraft loadout selection, this prevents flameouts on startup and flying but it won't prevent flameouts if you move the throttle too much at some speeds and angles of attack. Have a read of the aircraft performance sheets for this info, this post is for cold starting on the ground. 

An attached piccie shows the Pilot and AI controls, located on the left hand side of the cockpit. Another one shows the two scales on the RPM gauges situated on the top right of the panel. The inner scale shows Low RPM, the outer scale High RPM.

The text below accompanies the attached video. I have included the time (in italics, 00.00.00) the pilot actions listed below happen in the video and additionally you could follow the pointer.

Starting procedure

Don’t forget to select the ‘Fuel regulator valve’ when selecting aircraft loadout!

As can be seen in the relevant attached piccie below I have separate engine start buttons and I don't need to select/deselect engines 1 or 2/select all engines during the procedure. If you want, as with any twin/triple engine aircraft you can use E if that is your chosen method of engine starting. However, the 262 is different because pressing E will start engine 1 procedure but will only go as far as taking the turbine to 1000rpm on the low RPM gauge, it will then wait for the pilot to carry out the rest of the start procedure by using the individual engine igniters as mentioned above EDIT or by using RShft E, a mapping that operates both igniters at the same time END EDIT and by moving the throttle correctly. Once engine 1 has started it will move on to engine 2.

Also worth noting is that once engine 1 has started and is idling you can move your joystick throttle back to fully closed so that you are ready to move it forward for engine 2 start procedure. Moving it back has no effect on the aircraft throttle. I assume this is the same for those pilots who have separate throttle control...I don’t have separate throttles because to me it overcomplicates things.

The main points are (pilot actions are in bold type):

1. (00.00.06) Press engine 1 start.

2. (00.00.35) Watch low RPM (inner scale) rise to 1000rpm. At 1000rpm press and hold down engine 1 igniter.

3. (00.00.58) Low rpm needle rises to 2000rpm, then drops to zero. Important....Note fuel lever next to throttle moves forward to the first slotMove throttle lever forward so that it's pawl engages and keeps lever open slightly.....don't do this until the fuel lever has moved and do it immediately fuel lever is in it’s slot and, in reality, you don’t have to move it as slowly as in the video. Release engine igniter button

4. Close throttle fully.  Engine should idle at 3000 rpm (outer scale) and as an indicator jet pipe temp should be at 600 degrees (gauge situated below RPM gauge).

5. Repeat for engine 2.

I hope this helps.

Cheerzen

262 key mappings.jpg

262 fuel regulator mod.jpg

262 engine controls.jpg

RPM gauges.jpg

262 Jumo start procedure.zip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1