1/48 Tigercats

Sid

• 1. DDz Quorum

Got 2 x 1/48 Tigercats off ebay recently. Both came from 'over the pond' the good old USofA as I couldn't find them in the UK anywhere.

DSCN2982.jpg

There is an Italeri Tigercat that is an update of the Ertl ones I got but I'm not keen on the shape of the nose - detracts from the lovely curves of the earlier marks. Might get it to complete the line up.

I built the 1/72 model in the other thread as a standard fighter version in the dark blue scheme.

One of the big ones is going to be built as this - a firebomber http://www.hyperscal...000/f7fda_1.htm . I've managed to source the belly tank and decals, again in the US.

firebomber.jpg

The other I've started as an overall yellow scheme and am building it with wings folded. I have separated the wing sections and have started blanking off and building the internal detail.

DSCN2987.jpg

DSCN2985.jpg

Got some resin wheels and white metal undercarriage as the vinyl tyres supplied end up melting the kit plastic apparently and it will need some strength in the legs due to the nose weight required to get it to sit on it's wheels. In real life, these aircraft sat on their tails if the fuel tanks weren't kept topped up!!

DSCN2984.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1. DDz Quorum

Made a start on the F7F Firebomber :) Looking forward to this one......

Assembly of the fuselage has been very straight forward. Cockpit detail took a day and the halves were joined. Once dry the 'Borax' fire-retardant powder tank was stuck on

DSCN4223.jpg

The resin cast tank only needed a little sanding to get it to fit the contours, very pleased with that. It came a yellowy colour - it has had a base coat of grey to highlight any faults. I will run some light or medium superglue along the join to act as a filler

DSCN4219.jpg

The Tigercat has a very narrow fuselage, this tank is a total contrast

DSCN4222.jpg

Loving the lines

DSCN4219.jpg

Model is quite large, a nice size to work on

DSCN4221.jpg

DSCN4221.jpg

There is a bit of a choice to make with the painting. Because the tank is under and close to the undersurface of the wings it will be difficult to paint it with the wings on. I am contemplating painting the tank and then masking it before I put the wings on. The fit of the wings is very good and the joints are very snug so this is a good option. The paint scheme I've chosen has quite a few colours so the painting will not be straight-forward. Challenge!