Don Partridge

Sweper

Don Partridge died at age 69 yesterday.

Maby not so famous to the big crowd, but he had a couple of hits on the charts in the 60th and he lived in Stockholm in the 70th were he acted as a steet musician. He altered big audiences with jail because of the prohibition against street musicians. What made him even more nown in Sweden was that our former minister claimed he thought the prohibition was ridiculus and made a "Lex Partrige" which made street mucisians legal.

One of his chart hits in Sweden (England?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbegtlQbI2I

As a street mucisian

Hey Sven,

thanks for those links and the sad news that Don has gone. I remember him busking in London back in the Sixties - but I didn't realise he had moved to Sweden in the 70s. I'm glad he found success over there.

The coppers in London used to move buskers along quite a bit, and it must've been a pain if your gear included a bass and a high hat. The usual reason they gave was that you were causing an obstruction.

Despite that, quite a few guys (and a few girls) managed to stick to their pitches and keep the London streets alive with music. Don was one of the best, bless him.

B