Thinking About Moving To Nyc...

BSword

I posted this on the ubi forum but didn't really get any on point replies, but have been told that some people here are from the NYC area, so...

I've lived in San Francisco for 6 years now and I think I'm ready for something different. I've always wanted to live in NYC so I'm considering moving there. Plus I'd be much closer to my parents who live in Florida (where I grew up).

Firstly I'd like to know what neighborhoods in Brooklyn would be (relatively) affordable and nice to live in, does anyone know modern Brooklyn very well? I'm starting to get a handle on it...Sunset Park and Bay Ridge look decent...Williamsburg and Park Slope would be nice but probably out of my price range...but a lot of Brooklyn I don't know that much about.

Also I'm kind of wondering how tough it would be in general right now to get a job in NYC. I'd like to move in a few months but on the other hand I could wait until next spring and see if the job market is better.

yeah, DT and Psycho both.

So therefore it is hard to imagine the city would be worth living in. :laughing7:

Bastard!

Anyway, BSword, here are some general notes/questions. I have never lived in NYC myself, but its suburbs. Still, I have been in the city all my life as my father's businesses were there, and most of my jobs have been there as well.

1) On Brooklyn in particular, I cannot say much myself, but I have some friends who have lived /are living there. I will pose the question and relay the results. Suffice to say, there are some very nice parts of Brooklyn, and in fact some sections are in kind of a Renaissance at the moment. Some are younger areas, with more of a night life. There are definitely rougher parts as well. Its a bit of a commute to get to Manahattan if you worked there, but that helps keep the rent down. Park slope was one neighborhood I know is very nice, but yes, not cheap from what I know.

2) You probably already know, but New York in general is more expensive than a lot of places in the country, NYC in particular, especially with rents. I expect SF is not exactly cheap either, so this might not such a big shock. Rent STILL might be more than you might expect though, for what you get. Brooklyn is booming in parts because of people not being able to afford Manhattan rents. So, in general, expect to pay more for most everything, although you can still certainly find deals.

3) NYC, to put it mildly, has a lot of cool stuff. If you find yourself bored in NYC, you've probably lost the will to live and have bigger problems. Also, it is located within an hour's train ride to Long Island beaches, and can take trains down to the Jersey Shore, or upstate. Much of the NE states are within 5 hours drive (apart from traffic!)

4) NYC is a much cleaner, safer place than it was 10 years ago. It's ain't Kansas, mind you, but its a well run city especially considering the size and population.

5) We're one of the most heavily taxed states, with our glorious governor and state legislator postulating further ways to screw us like with a soda and beer tax. We're also one of those states that can't seem to help spending, so we may be heading for some serious financial tribulations. Then again, you are in California, so our woes may seem trite to you.

6) Having a car in NYC is not necessary for many places, as public transportation will get you most places. Some areas are ill-served, though. HAVING a car in NYC, even an outer borough like Brooklyn might be a major hassle when it comes to parking. Being from Long Island, I am used to coming home and being able to park right in front of my house. I have friends who have to search for parking spots every night, which would drive me insane.

7) Traffic in and around NYC can be a bloody nightmare. Time trips well or get good high blood pressure meds.

B) Jobs are certainly available here, for the moment, but it depends on what you are looking for, and how much you would need to make for your lifestyle. For instance, there are so many restaurants, I would think someone would have no trouble getting a job there, but whether it would pay enough to support you is the question. What is it you do or are interested in?

9) NYC is not located in Canada. Take that as a positive or negative based on the sort of chaps who are from there...

DT

Thanks DT.

From what I've seen on craigslist rents in Brooklyn seem about the same if not a bit less than in San Francisco which is promising. There's no way in hell I would ever expect to ever be able to live in Manhattan though. Definitely not going to get a car there, I don't have one here and I don't mind it.

I've been working as a clerk at a law firm for the last 6 years. It's ok but it's gotten pretty boring. I've tried to find other jobs here but there isn't much here. I'd probably seek to get work of some kind at a law firm in NYC but any sort of office job would work for me, but legal jobs would probably be what I'd end up in since it's what most of my job experience is in. Some people on a forum I used have said that the legal job market in NYC has picked up while other cities are pretty slow, hopefully that is the case.