The Red Baron movie

Dubbo

All i get on that link is a fanciful Red barron text. I think they may have disconected it

or some such.

They always have that love theme crap screwing up every movie....its like some

kinda addiction to trying to please chicks. No chick is gonna get into this movie, I dont

care how much kissie poo crap they have in it.

anyway, It's gonna be an eternal mystery, since there is no way to do ballistics

tests to the single .303 bullet that killed him. He actually managed to land the plane intact

and nosed over gently. The photos of the plane after that show that it was stripped

by souvenir grabbers (cant really blame them).

one lousy bullet, no real AC damage, odd angle that couldve come from anywhere.

I think his number was up, and his luck just ran out.

And its also sad that the silver goblets he used to indicate his kills (that became thimbles due to silver shortage) were

lost to the Soviet army in 1945 when the red army overan the family property. There

is probably one or two somewhere in Rus. that hasnt been melted down.

Be cool if someone found one on a street market in Riga or somewhere. STill you gotta

wonder where it wound up at. Manfred was a fascinating guy.

Spray and Pray, yup makes sense. You guys ever see an Owen SMG? WW2 issue, it looks like a Sten, kinda,

but instead of the magazine being on the side in sensible fashion, it was placed....on top.

Yup, on top, a 32 rd mad of 9mm standing up like a rectangular erection. You 'bout had

to spray and pray, since the little sight beside the mag well was useless.

I guess when you got about 400 guys with enfields and Lewis MGs spraying and praying, it can

add up.

this is what happens in a country where the beer cans are the size of everyone elses oil cans.

They had the best hats by far though. Still do. B)

Ah the Owen (You get one as a player in "Bushpigs") Sighting??? Carl? Australians sighting a submachine gun?? :D

owen_shoulder.jpg

Seriously though, they were designed to be fired from the hip and like most sub-machine guns, accuracy didn't suffer for it.

owen_hip.jpg

Additionally,due to the top mounted magazine, fixed sights were offset to the left.

One advantage to having the magazine on top was it allowed you to lay on the ground and fire from a lower profile. The Sten had this advantage though without drawing attention to your position with the magazine towering over your position

Although quite large and bulky, the Owen was a first-class gun and very popular with those who used it.It stood up well to the hard conditions of jungle fighting and stoppages were remarkably rare. Its two outstanding features were the top mounted magazine -- a feature rarely seen on submachine-guns since the Villar Perosa -- and the provision of a separate bolt compartment inside the receiver so that the bolt was isolated from its retracting handle by a small bulkhead, through which passed the small diameter bolt. This ensured that dirt and mud did not jam the bolt and it was highly successful, although expensive in terms of space.

Two other unusual mechanical features: the ejector is built into the magazine rather than into the gun body, and the barrel is rapidly removable by pulling up on a spring-loaded plunger just ahead of the magazine housing.

owen_mk1.jpg

Mk 01

owen_mk2.jpg

Mk 02

It's an ugly weapon but quite a good one. Reliable as hell.

As for the cool hats.............yeah

Owen_Gun_28AWM_01832029.jpg

Also we loved the Owen that much, they featured in a X-mas day parade in Sydney in 1942

ChristmasparadeOwen_guns.jpg

You know for an isolated country with a small population we have been forced to come up with some interesting stop-gap measures.

Heh, heh. Id still rather have a 1928 Thompson. Id be afraid Id poke my eye out with that mag. The hats made up for it though. Did they carry webleys also? Those things are so clunky, but they worked. I guess they carried about anything they could shoot. They made the SMLE Enfield .303 rifle (WW1 version) rather than the Mk4 that replaced it. I had an Aussie version once, in mint unissued condition, made in 1941-how it never got issued in that time period, i have no idea. I think they built Brens to.

I like the owen parade float-sounds like something I'd come up with.

How about the parade float for the topless chicks on the beach? I'd have thought that one up to. They would of course have to apply to me for inclusion, and Id have to do some appropriate photography to help me pick the participants. You can keep those damn crocs, sharks, and big ass spiders though. I kinda like the roos and quawala bears though.

firing an smg though is best accomplished via aiming over the barrel and putting the muzzle at the feet of the target, which puts it about chest hieght. That blasted mag getting in the way would drive me nuts. But the guys that used it liked it, so.......

Yeah, we had the Webley and Enfield revolver as well as a locally manufactured copy called a HAC revolver. (Made by a farm equipment company - Howard Auto Cultivator in NSW). This pic is of the .38 HAC revolver, a copy of the Enfield Mk2, which was a copy of the Webley Mk IV

hac.jpg

And yes, I love the Thompson too (Fired one a couple of years back) Nothing like loosing a torrent of .45s towards your foe huh? My favourite from WW2 though still has to be the MP-38/40s. To me they epitomize the sub-machine gun.