New PC for Hamilhoff

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Hi chaps,

Mike and I have been kicking around an idea for his new PC - here's what I've come up with - see what you think - any ideas appreciated.

Consider that we're keeping his original case, HDD and optical drives but anything else is fair game. Oh, and I want to keep the price below £600

XFX nForce 680i mainboard

Intel Quad Core Q9300

4Gb Corsair RAM (4x 1Gb sticks)

XFX Geforce 9800GT (x2 natch)

I also need to get him a new PSU (800 - 1000W I think?) and some serious cooling

Over to you...

~S~ Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Thanks Shadow - I'll need to look into the 200 series cards - we're not stocking them at present so I won't get any discount :(

The only reason for going for 4 GB, was to allow the machine to dual-channel the memory to the maximum the OS can handle (3GB?). Incidentally, as I understand it it's only the 64 bit versions of Vista that remove the memory cap, the 32 bit versions have the same limitation as XP.

~S~ Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Overkill? Why yes my dear Merdog, of course it is - but when SOW comes out...

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHA!

Basically I'm looking to future proof this thing a bit, 'cos it's going to be a bit difficult for Mike to drop his machine round to me when it breaks or he wants something added in (right m8?