ATI 4850 CCC won't hold OC settings- ISSUES RESOLVED

Cold_Gambler

I'm really flummoxed.

Using the CCC overdrive function and it's self test my card can do 690 core with 1133 mem... very nice OC... if only it would stick!

After hitting apply (or save, I forget) the "current settings" box at the bottom reverts to the default settings after 30 seconds.

Oldtimer,

glad to hear your OC settings "stick". My "current clock settings" are still dropping down to 500 core 750 mem... but I'm going to DL GPU-Z as it seems that this may actually not be the case. In any case I'm not sure why CCC works for you but not for me in this regard?!?

If your problem is heat, I've definitely found the solution: the card's fan is set at a low default setting (23% in my case) which gave me very high heat (in the 75 C range at idle!!)- Follow these instructions to increase your fan speed and be AMAZED as you watch your temps drop 30 or more degrees:

Instead of saying ""C:\Documents and Settings\Your Windows ID\" for XP or "C:\Users\Your Windows ID" for Vista, use the %USERPROFILE% variable, which every Windows system will have. It is the same for both Vista and XP, and points to the appropriate location.

I've changed your wording a bit to make it easier for n00bs to do/understand. Not taking credit for this, as that belongs to you.

================================================== ========

Make a profile in catalyst after turning on Overdrive and make sure clock and memory settings are correct. Then edit the .XML, where = the name you saved the CCC profile under. The file will be located in the following folder; to get to it, click START, then RUN, then copy the following path and paste it to the RUN dialog box, then hit ENTER:

Vista: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\

XP: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE\

Right-mouse click on the .XML file and click edit. If prompted for what program to open the file with, choose Notepad.

Now go down the page until you see the following lines in the XML file ...

Change the "Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value=" from "Automatic" to "Manual"

Then change "Property name="Want" value=" from "23" to your desired fan speed.

Save the file then reload the Profile you just edited in the CCC.

Remember that your fan will be locked to the % you set; if it's set too low you could damage your card. Be careful overclocking and setting fan speeds.

For Crossfire, be sure to set the lines in the .xml file for all cards.

I got it from this thread:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=265745&page=4

I've got mine "passed" up to 700 core and 1165 mem !!! making it all the more frustrating that CCC appears not to let me stick the OC.

Mystery solved with GPU-Z!

The "current settings" are the typical energy saving setting when you are doing basically nothing (like looking at CCC). When a graphics intensive app starts up, the OC profile settings kick in- I tested it with IL2 (windowed) and GPU-Z recorded usage at the OC levels throughout...

Me be happy.

I made two profiles. One is for general use for which I set the fan at 45(%) which is inaudible over my case fans (themselves quite quiet). The other is for gaming, has the higher OC and the fan is set at 55 which is audible, but not terribly so- since I wear headphones I could probably put it even higher, but since the temps are around 50 I think it's sufficient.

Hi BA,

I'm impressed so far, although that's not surprising when you consider the specs of my old rig.

Still playing with the settings, but IQ is excellent on perfect with water=2 (ATI doesn't go any higher it seems) 4 x AA and 8 x AF.

Hi BadAim,

same as OT, I really can't say how the 4850 itself is doing because my whole rig is new- too many variables... My experience seems congruent with his (our components are similar except for the motherboard).

It does OC nicely... my mem seems tapped out at 1165 (though I have plenty of "fan speed" overhead to bring temps down further so maybe it could go further) and CCC won't let me go past 700 which my card seems quite happy to do- now that the fan is at a higher setting than the factory default of 23%.

I'm very happy with the purchase now that the fan issue has been resolved.

Glad to hear you've got it working :)

Yes, I do have a Foxconn x38a.

I've only done a quick FSB increase to 3.33 GHz (9 X 370) which I know to be stable. I got it to go 9 X 385 but at 9 X 390 it locked up.

I haven't had a chance to tweak at all. I'm unfamiliar with almost all of the BIOS terms and options... and the manual is quite useless in that regard. Have you found a guide at all?

I didn't have any luck using the Fox ONE software; BSOD on launching!?