Any one got a paddle as my boat is in poo creek?

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

My problem in on my machine at work.

I had my recent install of Office 2007 go funny on me, decided the only option was un-install and then re-install.

Problem 1. I was not able to remove it via the recommended method of add / remove programs in the control panel so had to go through a long winded method which involed registry edits and deletes.

Problem 2. I am not able to run any .msc services. i get an error message saying that i either dont have permission (i do/should) or that the mmc is of a later version

Problem 3. After going through the uninstall routine I am not able to reinstall. I just get a message that says set up failed to comple and we are sorry for the inconvenience.

Question 1 - I think the os may be screwed in some parts. the pc is working fine for everything else.

Can i re-install the os over the top of the existing install.

Question 2 - I am on sp2 , however the version of the os disk i have which came with the machine is sp1. a guy at microshaft said that it would be ok, do you agree?

any other advice welcome

Cheers

Colin.

With me working in IT too Friar, I would just say to you, "...box up your PC and return it dumb-ass!.."

To save pain, I would just reinstall XP. But since you've only got XP SP1, you better hope you're behind a good firewall before you connect to the internet and download SP2.

This useful post was brought to you on 100% recyclable electrons.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hi Chris,

You have previosly very kindly sent me the xp pro and xp home install disks with keys, so I have them.

The machine is a HP and I have the operating system cd that came with it. although on the disk it says it should only be used with the restore cd, when i put it in to have a look at its contents, it did come up with the install xp menu.

My plan is to re-install from this disk (although its sp1) and then apply sp2 from a the microsoft sp2 cd.

The uninstall routine i found via google but here is the link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218/en-us

The most worrying thing about this is the loss of the .msc routines, the only thing I am now starting to think about is that I recently downlaoded regclean and may have accidently when scrolling down the screen clicked on an entry which has caused this problem, but that is not definate.

its 09:40 now, i have a couple of other little jobs to do and plan to start the install around 10:30 so hopefully you will reasd this before then if there is any thing i should not be doing.....

Cheers

Colin.

• 1. DDz Quorum

chris,

i was just typing you a message when you posted.

ref your copy with sp2, will that be ok to use (future updates etc) as i get current version older message and creating as slipstreme looks a little complicated, do-able, but complicated.

if i could your version it would be easier i feel

cheers

colin

• 1. DDz Quorum

Well some success..

I have been able to re-install office 2003 and access to the .msc services are now ok.

however I am not able to install windows updates, the download ok, but wont install, any "tweaks" to enable this?

Cheers

Colin

• 1. DDz Quorum

Bingo, many many thanks for you help and support Bbloke

The boat has now been returned to the boat house, the new paddles have been securly stored away and a note has been made to self to not go

up that creek again.

Slaute

Friar.