Fuel Mixture

DeadMeat

Working on getting my CH sticks programmed and in *****Squadron Standing Orders***** it says in there to have mixture set on the stick. Now I havent played with mixture at all and I wonder if its why I keep popping a 109's motor. I found a spreadsheet that Frior put up in the download section where it has Supercharger/mixture settings for various planes. Now here's where I get confused, it says to "increase" mixture at certain high altitudes. I always understood that you needed to lean or decrease fuel mixture as the air gets thinner ( at least you do in a Cessna ). So someone help me out and give me a complete lecture on using mixture in iL2 ( at least 5 , double spaced pages ) iffn ya dont mind.

S!

DeadMeat

Also I forgot to add, what happens if you have your supercharger set to level 2 and forget to drop it again when you chase someone low, and are there any audio cues as to when you need to go up or down with it?

S! DeadMeat

yes the engine should sound like it's lagging.....likewise for going up (if it lags then you've engaged it too soon)

1) Me109 engines have auto management so dont have superchargers or mix. They do have WEP or boost. dont run with boost on all the time or they overheat quickly. Only engage boost when about to enter fight or flight. You need to quickly put revs down to zero, engage boost then power up - if you engage boost with any revs then you will grenade the engine quickly.

2) for superchargers and mix-

found usually on US Russian and Japanese.

Watch the boost pressure indicator and it will tell you when to apply superchargers. It is altitude dependant so a good rough rule of thumb is

below 2000m off or stage 1 and

above 2000 stage 2

watch for smoke to know when to lean engines.

full details in this excellent article

http://mission4today.com/index.php?name ... ow&kid=249

hope this helps