video of the P-51 fatal crash at Oshkosh. Odd.

Heres the link to the EAA site's video of the landing accident that killed one pilot and destroyed what appears to be a 51 modified for racing. The stock D model had serious damage, but it can be restored. I think they were trying to land in formation.......which begs to ask where the hell the local ATC was. I've never seen civilian owned planes that didnt belong to an aerobatic outfit land in formation before. A little close sometimes, but not this close.

The guy taking the vid did a piss poor job as he kinda freaked when they hit. Don't really blame him, but when I saw a fatal (and spectacular) fatal crash in 88, I knew to keep my blasted camera on it as i held the

Yeah, I would've probably thought it was a formation landing myself, but as the other guys say, it looks like he didn't see the other plane, although if you look closely, it appears that he was almost alongside. We know from experience flying these things that visibility is lousy in them. Ive seen two fatal accidents at airshows/fly-ins, photographed one, and that's more than enough for me. They published two of my pix I took in Fla in Air Classics July89 issue of a T-28 digging a hole straight in.

I've been lucky enough not to have that happen since.