Anyone know what this means?

Tonar

tried to play tonight but my CD drive stopped. this is what is says in hardware properties

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."

Trouble shooting was a goose chase. All I did recently was clean out the dust and hair from the fans and sinks with compressed air. closed her up and No More CD. tried a different CD dive and the same results. :scratch:

Don't really know where to go from here.

Any suggestions?

You may want to get another opinion on this, but when I have a hardware issue such as yours, I would go to:

Control Panel --> Add/Remove Hardware and remove the ROM drives from the list. Restart your computer, and XP should auto detect the drives, and adjust the registry accordingly. I don't know why you would get this error if all you did was blow out some dust. Did you check the connections to the drives? (generally it's a gray wire that looks like a ribbon). Push it in to make sure it is seated correctly, as you may have jarred it loose when cleaning. The error you are having sounds like a software related issue though, as opposed to a hardware one. There is the possibility that a wire is loose and Windows cannot identify the hardware that the registry entry belongs to, hence the error, but I don't think this is the case.

Worst case scenario is that the drive has failed, and it is a coincindence that it happened when you were cleaning your computer. Any response from the drive when you start your computer? Does the light on the drive come on?

• 1. DDz Quorum

From Microsoft:

Code 19

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. To fix this problem you can first try running a Troubleshooting Wizard. If that does not work, you should uninstall and then reinstall the hardware device. (Code 19)

Recommended resolution

A registry problem was detected.

This can occur when more than one service is defined for a device, if there is a failure opening the service subkey, or if the driver name cannot be obtained from the service subkey. Try these options:

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard. Click Uninstall, and then click Scan for hardware changes to load a usable driver. Restart the computer in Safe Mode, and then select Last Known Good Configuration. This rolls back to the most recent successful registry configuration.

As a last resort, you can edit the registry directly. For more information, see the Registry Reference in the Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit at: .

Thanks guys,

Yeh, I checked all the hardware connections. unplugged and replugged the deviced, un-installed and reinstalled the device, let windows find it and tell me the same thing. tried a known good cd drive with the same results. this morning before work I tried BG's suggestion with no luck. after work I will attempt what B16enk found out for me. Maybe I Zapped it? I had an ESD strap on the whole dang time though :x

Just trying to maintain a clean cool machine and I screw something up.

I should listen to myself more: IF IT AINT BROKE, DON'T FIX IT !! :cussing:

Well I fixed it :hello1: , I used the last resort registry editor and removed the Upper and Lower filters for the specific registry. found the fix in anoyance.org. there were a lot of people with this problem. I just hope everything else keeps working and that I have not started a chain reaction of negative events.

Is it Thursday Yet?? :P