CloD was running fairly well until for no apparent reason the fps dropped to about 10 and no matter what I did wouldn't shift. Eventually after a number of restarts they came back to 40 odd. But when I exited to make some setting changes they dropped back down again to 10 and so it went on. I have a spare 80Gb drive on my system so I cleaned it, installed Windows 7 on it and attempted to reinstall Clod from my disc to eliminate any problems not directly related to the game. Of course Steam then started arsing around wanting to re-authenticate the install and sent me a new code by email. But it wasn't recognised by the dialogue box which said, rather unhelpfully, 'Sorry, that isn't quite right'. I managed to set up a help account and so far have recieved two further codes niether of which worked. Any ideas from you Steam babies?

• 1. DDz Quorum

Do you still have the original install, it may be looking to that.

What other Steam games do you have?

One trick with Steam, and may not apply in your case, is it can be moved from default c:\progra~1\steam without having to download everything again!

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

I am not sure if just moving it would help as I was trying to get it to run using a different install of windows rather than just move game to a new location, but I will give it a go. I am still waiting for the next response from steam helpdesk.

But in the meantime I think I have got the frame rates back up to speed. It is something running in the background that is the problem as I suspected - hence my keeness to relocate my install to new OS. I have shut down all processes and problem has gone so I just need to narrow it down to actual culprit.

Hope to try patch Fruitbat has found as that sounds quite promising. My big killer is the buildings. Keeping building detail to low is biggest help along with the number especially over London. On the whole my fps are now pretty constant at 30 to 40 which is fine.

I do find that under some combinations of settings, not sure which exactly, having roads on causes Launcher to crash although it might be just when most settings are high and I then turn on roads last without restarting the game.

Tried a straight copy of the steam folder to new drive. Steam launched, then decided it was on a different computer and went through the whole business of sending me a new access code and password. Needless to say the access code wasn't recognised and produced the 'Sorry, that isn't quite right'. message again.