Trim/switchbox Interface Board

Mayhem

Hey guys,

I'm working on a trim/switch box project and have come to the realization that the method I originally planned for interfacing it with the PC isn't going to work. I was going to hack a dual shock controller and still would if I would get the potentiometers to work in place of the 4 used for the dual sticks 4 axises. I think the Dualshocks use some non standard 0 center pots that swing 5k in either direction off center, so trying to use a standard linear 10k pot isn't going to cut it. I was looking into options such as the BU0836 but they seem to pricey for what they are. I've looked into something called an A-pac which is another micro-controller that will give your 4 axises and 24 buttons. Alternatively I could build my own Mjoy16 or similar project but I would rather just buy something to save time. My last option I know of is using an arduino to read the analog inputs from the pots but I really can't find any examples of anyone doing this for sim controls. Anyway, if anyone here knows or knows of someone who has experience in this sort of think hook me up please. I really just looking for the easiest, most cost effective solution that will perform the functions I need.

Thanks

Personally for the easiest most cost effective solution I would just go for the BU0836, the 10bit version is only just over 20 quid inc post. You just hook up the pots, plug in the USB and it works, no messing. It also gives option for loads of switches. As you probably know he also sells multi turn pots which might be better for trim wheels or try Rapidonline.com who are pretty good and seem reasonable for electrical componants (if you're UK based). Also Cool Componants do female jumper leads which make connecting to the pins dead easy. Otherwise what about an old joystick board? If you have one that has a broken twist grip or dodgy pots you could just get new pots and try that. Maybe a Dogz has an old one kicking around they could donate.

I think microprocessor boards like an arduino etc are more useful if you are trying to utilise data from the game to drive motion platforms and the like.

I have been planning to use an old x52 for the same reason, but I'm leaning towards the BU0836. I'd love to use multiturn pots for the trimwheels, but I can't come up with a good way to (visually) find center. It would be cool if someone made a pointer (or really any kind of +/- indicator) like was found on most of the real aircraft.

I have been planning to use an old x52 for the same reason, but I'm leaning towards the BU0836. I'd love to use multiturn pots for the trimwheels, but I can't come up with a good way to (visually) find center. It would be cool if someone made a pointer (or really any kind of +/- indicator) like was found on most of the real aircraft.

If you get a pot with a long enough neck you can put a plastic gear on it some ways under the knob probably beneath the control panel. If you attach another gear or 2 to that gear using the appropriate ratio which there are formulas for you can drive an indicator needle that will tell you exactly what your trim level is set to. Of course you could always have a second circuit that reads the resistant of the pot and relays it to a dial meter like an ohm meter or whatever. You would probably have to add a trim pot and set the right range so the needle will deflect correctly and you could center it. With the cheapo plastic ohmmeter you can take the clear plastic off the face and replace the measuring card behind the needle with one you make yourself that has a zero center and then degrees of deflection left and right draw or printed on it. That would actually be really cool so you kind of gave me a great idea. Only problem is I don't have multi-turn pots so I will probably just have a deflection range printed on the panel as the knobs I plan to use have a pointer needle on them already.

I'm getting the BU0836 I've decided. I look forward to working with it and might have to buy a second one of the step resolution is enough otherwise the next one I get will have to be the A or X variant.

That might be a good Idea, Mayhem (the mechanical one, It's more in keeping with the period) I'm just lazy, and I don't want to spend a long time building it, or a lot of effort in using my brain. I'm actually a half decent fabricator, and can usually get just about any thing done I set my mind to. I just need to set my mind to it. :retard: