Symantec Tech Support Sux

B16Enk

• 1. DDz Quorum

I know, not news at all!

But I need to rant :):spank:

Quazi has been experiencing odd lockups, and noted his audigy and vid card were sharing an IRQ.

There is a way to make XP allow manual IRQ assignment and I attempted this.

Rendered my system un bootable.

Didn't faze me too much as I use Norton Ghost 2007 (V12) and 'knew' restoring should be a snap.

Then I discovered the recovery CD ISO zip was corrupt...

I hadn't purchased the extended download service and it had expired 3 days ago :(

So I entered into a chat with two technicians in the Indian call centre, asking quite simply if I could buy the extended download service retrospectively.

Simple yes?

Err...no.

53 minutes it took to get across that:

a. the zip file containing the ISO image was corrupt.

b. it was only the recovery CD ISO image I was interested in.

c. the zip file was corrupt, confirmed by using WinRAR when I was told that was the only program that would open a zip file.

d. buying the extended download service for Serif Page Plus 9 did indeed mean I was buying Page Plus 9 and didn't entitle me to download the ISO.

When the second tech finally grasped that I really really really did want only the recovery ISO, he gave me a link and user/password combo.

The download was throttled @ 10K and was going to take upwards of 8 hours to complete....and so far the server has reset once after 3 hours download...meaning start from scratch again!

I finally found a torrent and got it in under 30 mins, complete with a crack.

Symantec suck big time.

Here is the transcript:

Chat ID: 42c6c2f8-26bf-43e5-8702-767d767ff960

Problem : Need to buy extended download, purchased ghost 2007 May 12 and download for recovery CD is corrupt!

Ganesh : Hello Mr._Roger_Enkel. My name is Ganesh .

Ganesh : Welcome to Symantec Customer Service

Ganesh : Is this the first time you are contacting Consumer Support or do you have an existing case number?

Mr._Roger_Enkel: Hi ganesh

Mr._Roger_Enkel: My first contact smile

Ganesh : Can I please confirm that the issue you have described is you want to buy the extended download service for the Norton ghost product .Is that right ?

Mr._Roger_Enkel: Yes thats right, I missed downloading it by 2 or 3 days sad

Ganesh : May I have the order number for the Norton Ghost purchase?

Mr._Roger_Enkel: xxxxxxxxxxxx

Ganesh : May I know the operating system your computer is working on ?

Mr._Roger_Enkel: XP 32 bit

Mr._Roger_Enkel: Professional

Ganesh : Thank you for providing the requested information

Ganesh : I need to verify some information. Do you mind waiting while I check this information for you?

Mr._Roger_Enkel: No problem Ganesh

Ganesh : Thank you for your patience.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Up and running again, had to fix my Vista boot first, so I could then fix Vista not seeing an nVidia JBOD raid, so I could copy the disc image to a non-raid volume, so I could restore the windows folder.

And then get the Vista Boot process to again recognise my XP and server 2003 installs as boot options....

2hr 17 minutes STILL LEFT to finish the Symantec download....grrrr...

Now that was a waste of a day :(

Its sad that you were happy to go down the legit route, but that their rubbish service forces you to use nefarious methods

i dont even bother half the time now, especially the difficulty i had with my legit copy of windows once i flashed the bios.....