Monitors And Viewing Angles

Kira

My first experience with LCD/LED monitors, having used a CRT up until now.  I went first with a 19.5" that had 1600x900, with 170 degrees viewing angle.  Not liking that due to "low" resolution (and overall size), I decided that I'd go with a 1920x1080.  Noting that it had a much more limited 90 degrees of viewing angle, I thought "it'll be fine, I don't move my head that much."  Wellll, guess what.  There's a big difference between 170 degrees and 90 degrees.  With 90 degrees, I've discovered that the view is so narrow that "wash out" occurs with even the slightest head movement.  If I go to get even the slightest "closer look" at a particular cockpit item, the opposite side of the screen washes out.  Even looking at my desktop image, if I move to any angle, it washes out.  It really looks bad.

That said, it's fine for email, writing, movies et al.  But that's not what I bought the monitor for.

Needless to say, I'll never, ever, get another monitor with such a narrow angle of view.  I'd hazard a minimally educated guess and say that 120 degrees viewing angle is the absolute minimum required for flight sims, or much else for that matter.

Live and learn.