NEW DISCORD SERVER DETAILS - SIGN UP NOW - Dogz Members Only Private Thread ×

Chivalry

rox

This looks like a pretty awesome multiplayer game, medieval style battles with lots of slashing and bashing, as well as bows and crossbows, siege weapons etc. I'm considering buying it, has anyone already tried it?

Been playing it for two days now, I find the game excellent! Team objective gameplay centers around breaching castles to kill the king and similar objectives, team deathmatch is a simple team extermination match with the surviving team being the winner, and duel is a 1 on 1 game mode that is excellent for getting used to the dozens of different weapons and to perfect your skills. there are some other game modes as well.

The combat mechanic is what makes this game incredible - it's really like playing chess on speed. You have a lot of combat moves and they can be combined in combos, parries, and you can even feint a move and then strike from the other direction while your target blocks in the direction of the feint. There are many combinations and all the weapons have their pros and cons. The weapons are very realistic, for example if an enemy blocks you weapon has to actually hit his blocking weapon/shield in order for the blow to be blocked. That means you can hit people in the head with overhead blows over their shield if they are not blocking high, you can swing a flail around a shield and hit them etc. Also, when swinging weapons, the tip of the weapon hitting does most damage as it moves the fastest, thus if you swing a long war hammer while very close to an enemy, you will hit them with the pole rather than the hammer head on the end itself, doing much less damage. It's all very realistic, variable and you really have to think and contemplate every move you make in fractions of a second, if you just swing madly you will die pretty soon. Note there is also a stamina bar so after several swings it will get depleted and you will be much less effective, tough it regenerates quite fast.

I fell in love with the thrusting spear, nothing better than to stab someone in the belly before they can even reach me with their sword, but if they get close you're screwed. And the game is gory as hell, which is appropriate for a medieval combat game.

There are also bows, crossbows, and even a sling with which you can use rocks (unlimited ammo) or more destructive lead balls which are limited. Obviously the rocks would need about 4 hits to kill an armored foe if not more, but it's great for finishing off enemies wounded by someone else. It's damn awesome to have three of your guys corner an enemy knight and bash him a bit, and then you appear 10 meters away and kill him with a rock :D Much to the dismay of your team mates probably.

You can't do anything to a guy hiding behind a tower shield with bows and crossbows. But in order to attack he can't hold the shield up at the same time and has to expose himself for a split-second. By far the best/luckiest kill I had yet - usually being this close to someone with a melee weapon while holding a ranged weapon is suicide.