f'ing computer

JensenPark

Hi guys...

have been having some 'issues' lately with the old 'puter

make a long story short, when I start up it now says "boot disk error" and asks to install system disk and press enter

so I put in my XP disk and press enter and get nothing.

tried to reboot with the disk in and get the whole set up rigamarole with XP (I cancelled out as I was afraid it was heading into reformat territory).

Any ideas guys?

• 1. DDz Quorum

:iwg:

First thing when seeing that message is to make sure there isn't a floppy disk in the drive, easily overlooked!

You can try making a bootable floppy from another XP pc, but it has to have identical system drive type:

[*:22tzsch4]Format a floppy in XP
    [*:22tzsch4]Copy the following files to it (must have hidden and system files viewable):

[li]boot.ini
      [*:22tzsch4]ntldr
      [*:22tzsch4]ntdetect.com

[/li]

Try booting off that, if successful then you copy those three files to the root of your system/boot disk.

There are circumstances where applications remove or modify these files, Norton Antivirus is one such program that, when being un-installed, will render a system unbootable because it deleted the boot.ini.

Quite funny really, as that it typical virus behaviour!

I have experienced the above on large corporate servers, taking a panic 'phone call from a tech crapping himself because the server failed to boot after maintenance.