Camera Woes...

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

It appears I have a problem with my EOS 350D (apart from the fact it's a Canon that is). I've fallen foul of the 'Err 99' fault which, after some diagnosis, seems to refer to a problem with my Tamron 70-300mm zoom lens. Basically when the lens is at it's maximum focal length, there seems to be a problem when the shutter button is pressed, triggering the error state. When using the same lens on my father's 500D I get a different error, this time telling me there's a comms problem between the lens and the camera. It also says to clean the lens contacts to resolve the problem. Here's the question. What method should I use to clean the contacts? I've tried a (clean) pencil eraser to no avail. Is there anything else I could try before junking the lens?

Jabo

The stuff you use to remove the residue gunk from the cpu/heatsink surface...whats it called....Nail varnish remover!! or something similar, a clear solvent of some sort. Should be able to remove all surface gunk.

Apply sparingly with cotton buds and dry surfaces thoroughly afterwards.

It's that or run it under the cold tap!

I would recommend medical booze, as we call it here in Sweden. It is 96% alcohol which can be bought in a pharmacy. It wount affect any kind of hard plastics I think. My suggesting is to drip it on cotton pins, what we call Topz. Then clean all contacts.

topz1.jpg

Found this on a photo community:

"Usually error 99 means that your lens contacts (maybe in the body, or the lens itself) is dirty.

I got this from the web and saved it in my laptop just in case I get the same error:

1. Carefully clean the 8 gold color lens contact pins on the camera body

lens mount with a pencil eraser. Do this while holding the camera so that

any eraser dust will not fall into the camera.

2. Take out both batteries. Yes, there are 2. I had forgotten about the

smaller Date/Time battery. Also remove the CF memory card.

3. With the batteries removed, turn the camera switch on for 3-5 minutes.

He said that this clears the memory.

4. Turn the camera off and put the batteries and CF card back in.

5. Re-attach the lens and turn it back on. "

• 2. Administrators

True, except for two points. 1 - I can't use the macro mode (which is probably more often than not) cos that locks the focal length at 300mm and 2 - I'm not sure I trust it now.

In any case, the lens is about 7-8 years old and has been well used, so for £100ish I've had my money's worth.

• 2. Administrators

OK Gec, I've got a replacement on order, it should be here tomorrow - as long as that's OK and doesn't show any problems with the camera we'll come to an arrangement.

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

New lens arrived - problem cleared as you can see

post-406-0-83254400-1334873476_thumb.jpg

post-406-0-56122200-1334873521_thumb.jpg

post-406-0-87848300-1334873566_thumb.jpg

Taken today during a (very wet) falconry experience session for the family.

Jabo

P.S. Gec - if your friend wants the old lens, drop me a PM