Career In Aviation...

Flyboy583

Hi all,

Just wanted to ask a quick question...

Like everybody here I am fanatical about aviation.... As a career I work in Sales (Medical Industry)

I have for a couple of years now tried to move into the aviation industry in some form.. This has proven to be extremely difficult!

Thinking about it over the last couple of months and getting a bit bored with my current role, I think it is time to try again..

I really would love to get into aircraft brokering, or a similar sales role in aviation.

Does anybody on here have any experience in brokering or know somebody that currently is an aircraft broker? At this stage I am just after some information on what is require to start as a broker....

I have contacted a view companies here in the UK with no luck so far :(

If anybody happens to hear of a sales orientated position in aviation (UK) please let me know..

Any help is as always greatly appreciated!

Thank god you said Broker......there is still hope for you to make a career, the middle man type organisation is always secure, I almost regret becoming a pilot, I've had 2 jet jobs in the last 3 years and the second is about to end with no obvious prospects for the future.

How to make a small fortune in aviation?......start with a huge one..

Hi Friar,

No I have not... any help would be greatly appreciated.. At this stage anybody that can give me some advice would be great. I am very comfortable in my current line of work, but have to admit sales in the aviation industry is completely new to me..

I want to make this move to be closer to aircraft.. Thinking back to when I was learning to fly in the late 90`s I can honestly say I was at my happiest! The only down side is now being in my 30`s with commitments I do need to earn in a specific range (House, kids ect ect) This is going to be a career change and with little experience (other than working for a flight school), might be difficult.. But hell, everybody needs to start somewhere.... and if this is really my passion, then nothing will stand in my way!!

Have you tried Air Charter in Surbiton, Surrey.

I might be able to get you a name if they interest you.

Friar

Bongo, hang in there buddy... I know what it is like! I also went through the endless calls ad sending CV after CV combined with knocking on every charter companies doing looking for a flying job... Many years ago though, but can still remember the frustration!

Do you have rating on B200 or B1900`s? Would you consider flying on contract in Afghan? Let me know or call me (Ill pm you my no) I have a couple of contacts and can put you in contact with a company.... Let me know.

Thank god you said Broker......there is still hope for you to make a career, the middle man type organisation is always secure, I almost regret becoming a pilot, I've had 2 jet jobs in the last 3 years and the second is about to end with no obvious prospects for the future.

How to make a small fortune in aviation?......start with a huge one..

Do you have rating on B200 or B1900`s? Would you consider flying on contract in Afghan? Let me know or call me (Ill pm you my no) I have a couple of contacts and can put you in contact with a company.... Let me know.

I don't have those ratings...only a Learjet 45, I have been given a few leads for work in places like Nigeria.......to be honest with you unless youre going to send me to places like that with a gun and several thousand armed buddies and the prospect of coming back after a few months with several gazillion pounds in my pocket then I will pass :D, thanks for the offer though, I have a couple of months notice left and I'm rethinking my future.

Where are you looking for work? I know an outfit (or two) that might need a 45 guy.

In the last few weeks I've had clients from Malawi and Morocco. The guys from Malawi thought their lot pretty good, living like kings, after a fashion, they said. From what I've heard, Morroco isn't bad. I've friends working 1900 and 350 contracts in Afghanistan, and they don't seem to mind it. Though the night life is lacking.

As for the ORIGINAL post... Sales broker can be a lucrative line of work. Most are paid on commission, and the ones I've known have done well. Of course, aviation is the ultimate cyclical industry, so there will be lean times. Make sure you're in with a good company, the longer-established the better. That said, can you sell? And what sort of aircraft are you wanting to sell?

Hi Erco,

If I had a choice then I would live to sell general aviation aircraft and if at all possible dabble in vintage piston and ex-forces jets.. That said beggars cant be choosers right... !!?! As for selling, I have more than enough sales experience selling high value IT solutions, major contract negotiation and currently medical contracts to the NHS................ I am extremely comfortable selling to a wide range audience... I would just much more love selling Harvard`s than negotiating medical equipment contracts :)

I have found and applied for a position at a flight school who is looking for a sales person to expand on their training program and manage their airline clients.. Sound just up my street!! Fingers crossed.

At this stage I will consider any sales position within the aviation industry that will get me closer to aircraft!

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the above...

I had my first interview for said Flight School today. It went well, with a follow up interview within the next two weeks. I now have a much clearer idea of their business model moving forward, but have to admit am still lacking some direction to the full job requirements or more importantly their expectations?! ... I am sure all will be revealed once I meet the company Directors... All looking promising though!! And they have a 737-800 simulator!! :)

Hell yeah! Go for it! Oh, crap. Reason just stepped in and told me to warn you to be diligent in your inquiry of this company before stepping away from a steady job into the unknown.

That said, on the outside, it looks like you might be on to something. Just be careful, mate. Mkay?

Cheers Buddy..

I so badly want this job to tick all my boxes, but I cant help but feel it might not be the best move for me....

I work for a large global medical company with good job benefits. This is by all accounts a small company (Large for a flight school) that is growing quickly... My passion for aviation is the reason why I am applied for the position. This could be my foot in the door, so to speak and give me an opportunity to work in aviation. I might even get to fly cheaply!!

We will see what the have to say at the next interview.. I will consider the move carefully, but that said the salary needs to be right before I will consider moving. At the end of the day, the job might let me work closer to aircraft, but there is risk appreciated moving from a comfortable and safe position to the unknown..

Time will only tell.

Hell yeah! Go for it! Oh, crap. Reason just stepped in and told me to warn you to be diligent in your inquiry of this company before stepping away from a steady job into the unknown.

That said, on the outside, it looks like you might be on to something. Just be careful, mate. Mkay?

I'd advise that you look into the management. See if you can sniff out how they run the company, how much experience they have, how they treat their employees. They could be growing fast because they are good at what they do and do it right or they could be growing fast because they are reckless and greedy and the fall is just a matter of time.

Don't be afraid to interview them. The right kind of employer will be impressed with your passion and your diligent confidence, the wrong kind won't like your inquisitiveness if they have something to hide.

Just my $.02.

All that is not to deter you from your dreams. If you were flipping burgers, I'd say go for it without a second thought, but good paying skilled jobs at companies that treat you well are scarce everywhere, I only advise due diligence before taking the risk. (It's sooooo easy to miss the small details when you are chasing your dreams) (I know from experience) :)

Absolutely agree buddy!! As it stands, I am still waiting for the interview... I am going to attend with an open mind. I have a lot of questions on their sales model and future growth / expansion plans... As mentioned, it would be great working within aviation, however I need to feel comfortable with the company and the all inportand salary needs to be in the right ball park... Ill update you all again once I have more info!