Crazy Carp Fishing...

Snacko

Lol I was the chairman of Florida for the American Carp Club. I love catching this fish on light line but not the species found in the video.I fish for the common, leather, mirror carp, they grow 60LB plus and fight for ever. Those are grass carp introduced legally into thousands of waters in the USA by guess who?...bass anglers . The idea was to keep down the weed as that is what they eat and the weed was causing fish kills. Instead of running a pilot scheme and listening to advise as to the type to stock they were just dumped in and left. In Florida at the large bass lakes they had a novel way of dealing with the problem. They opened the gates and let them into the river system and now they are everywhere.The USA government were advised right at the outset to stock with triploid carp as they are sterile and would die out naturally within 10-12 years, they were also advised to stock about 10 fish per acre. We can all guess what happened next right??? I love shooting and fishing but I have had this rule of never killing anything I dont eat. I am not sure what the answer would be to get rid of them but I am sure littering the river with dead and damaged fish isnt it. Sorry guys I guess we just have a different idea of what fun is ;) l.

Dino,

I believe these are the silver Asian carp that have infested these rivers. It is mind blowing that this sort of invasion has occured.

But I would think shotgun casings, lead shot and dead Carp would be better for the river ecosystem than the presence of these fish.

There are also paper shotgun hulls and alternatives to lead shot.

And nobody in these parts eats carp anyway, it's considered a trash fish only suitable for use as bait when caught. Although there is a small amount of commercial fishing (netting) of carp allowed on Utah Lake because it has become so overpopulated with them. Those of coarse get shipped to the eastern U.S. and Asia and sold as "white fish" or something similar.

• 1. DDz Quorum

They haven't taken over the fresh waters in Wisconsin, and are very close to the Great Lakes. Just the other side of a dam in the Chicago area, what a tragedy if they'd ever get to the other side and sad its only a matter of time.

Have to agree, maiming fish for the fun of it is criminal. They should be brought up on charges. I'd also like to know what credentials certify these clowns as "professionals" as stated at the beginning of the vid.

As for carp being a garbage fish, its still meat that could be feeding people, of course if its too expensive to export or no profit can be made from it, no one will be interested in it.

I also don't consider it an invasion as the fish were planted. Its not the fishes' fault people are stupid.

The common Carp was brought to the United states from germany in the early 1840's and the first imported fish were guarded by the US national guard in a pond in DC. They were introduced as a cash food crop and were expected to be harvested for that.

These fish in the video are not the common Carp found throughout the US. They are something entierly different and more destructive.

Carp aren't destructive - they're actually a very valuable part of the ecosystem over here. However, as they are bottom feeders inserting them into environments that are not adjusted to this is simply stupid. Generally it is stupid to introduce any animal into foreign ecosystems as you never know how it turns out. As carp are very tolerant and can exist in water without much oxygen it is really a gamble. Here in Germany the carp is preyed upon by many predators so there is a balance. From the many eggs it lays almost none grow up to a respectable sized fish.

That aside it's absolutely needless to murder and torture the fish like that. If they ruin the lakes ecosystem then it's the people introducing them to it who should suffer. Most likely greedy fishers who thought that they'd profit from these huge "meatballs".

• 2. Administrators

I'm with Madfish, torturing animals for fun doesn't do it for me. We had a problem some years ago in the UK when Zander were introduced into a number of lakes locally as 'sport' fish without taking into account of their highly predatory nature. After wiping out the fish stocks in several places a cull was put into place and now there's very few if any left in UK waterways. A cull however, is one thing and I'm afraid this is something else entirely.

Just my 2 cents.

Jabo