Bg Memorial Annual Event

Dino

Hey Guys,

I am posting this to see what feedback I get as to whether you feel this is something worth pursuing.

A while ago I had the idea that I would like to put together and fund a fun event to commemorate BG and the DOGZ on an annual basis. This was for many reasons not least of which the time he put in over the years for the Dogz and how personally grateful I was to him for introducing me to the game and you guys. There were certain goals I had and I quickly realised it would have to be an event over at least 2 sessions and maybe more. I wanted it to be fun and enjoyable for people of all skill levels and abilities and so designed it with different types of mini events. All the events would be one life but MDS activated to allow for the repair, re-arm, refuel features on RC4.

For a couple of months I have been putting together some events which are now ready to test, discard or add to:

An air race with limited ceiling, hidden objects, balloon shooting and graduated point scoring,

A jeep obstacle race again with hidden objects, one life only.

One hour, one life only, Multi engine dogfight with MDS.

One hour, one life only, fighter Vs fighter dogfight with MDS.

One hour, one life only, train and vehicle ground attack with MDS.

One hour, one life only, fighter Vs multi engine aircraft with MDS.

The concept is that I will sponsor a shield or trophy and we would run this as an annual event on his birthday, day of passing or any day that was felt appropriate. I will engrave it with the winners name and callsign and get it delivered. All they would have to do then is get a pic of them with it and this could then go into a gallery.

I am looking firstly as to whether there would be any interest in doing this and if there is then:

Name of the event, The B.G. Memorial Trophy? The Danger Dogz / B.G. Memorial Trophy?

Other ideas for events.

Anyone else interested in helping in organisation etc...

Test pilots that would like to meet up as a group and test these events for problems.

In general any suggestions or comments.

It would be nice to see some of the older faces return if only for an annual thing like this and also give less skilled guys an opportunity to be competitive.

Anyway let me know what you all think guys.

“DINO”

• 1. DDz Quorum

Could we agree/decide on a specific Map+Grid to use?

So anybody can create a mission and keep it all in one and the same atmosphere?

There was a dogfight map that we used in warm up of Kevin's Bob campaign... that appears to be useful...

Dino, as for the glider idea, better thank Sid, as I used his Pegasus mission for 'inspiration' ;-)

I love the Idea! I would like to sponsor a secondary award for a person of dubious distinction, who most exemplifies the spirit of the Danger Dogz. I think we could call it the "Villiage Idiot" award. We should definitely have several different contests, some serious, some silly, none out of character with the Dogz.

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Dino,

Great idea all round M8 !. "The Blaigowrie Memorial Trophy" (BMT) sounds good to me.

As you know a few of us DDz have competed in the JO Top Gun competition over the years.

This is made up of 5 vs 5, 2 vs 2 and 1 vs 1 dogfights plus a host of races around several courses plus various difficult landings like on an aircraft carrier without a tail hook, landing on a suspended runway at 2200m set at a 15 degree incline followed by a dead stick landing in a valley below, a timed fast landing from 1000m. Also a loop over starting under a bridge set in a corridore of ballons. The maps are made available a month in advance so competitors can practice. Just a few ideas : )

BTW: I love the maximum friendly kill points idea perhaps against the clock (5 minutes?) we should include that LOL !

To run this type of event takes many hours (6 to 8 at least) so you may need to hold it on a weekend starting around mid day GMT to give both sides of the pond a chance to compete. Plenty of notice for the date needs to be given to ensure chaps can put the time aside from real life.

I would be happy to help create the rules and sit on a judges panel perhaps made up of three of us for the first annual event.

~S~ Painless.

All great ideas guys. I have built 6 already over the past 4 months and they are ready for testing as soon as I get some idiots...er.... Great Intelligent Testers or GITS for short to join me and try them out. Any volunteers to get a few guys together and run the GITS for me? Of course if it looks an event that might work I guess Roger can send an invite out to all Dogz registered. If we get a large response I thought running just each part repeatedly until all had completed and then putting up a running scoresheet would work best but I am open to all discussions. Of course I would be grateful for any names of guys wishing to form a think tank....wait a minute...Dogz...think tank....scratch that..... a huddle... to look at ideas. Do you want to head that a get some guys together? I realise JO and other groups run exercises etc but what I am building would allow any skill level to participate but still give an edge is some of the events to the more experienced guys. I already like that Swep...The Blaigowrie Annual Memorial Cup :huh:??? Keep the thoughts coming guys. "DINO"

Still not sure if there will be any interest in this as an event but I have built 9 of the 10 mini events to use or choose from They are ready for testing anytime I can get a or some Gits.

Jeep obstacle and road race.

Bad weather C47 mountain cargo flight.

Multi engined dogfight.

Single engined dogfight.

Mountain pass La7 race with hidden objects and shooting targets.

Fighter intercept of multi engined aircraft.

Groundpounding.

Comet high level intercept.

Base defence using gun positions of aircraft against ground and air targets.

I have formulated a points scoring system for each event that rewards skill but made them so that novices can still have fun.

I am still working on other ideas but keep any ideas you have coming. Looking at these I could adapt these to run as coops and dogfights in V11?

Anyone interested in giving these a try just let me know.

"DINO". :D

Sounds good Dino, I especially like the jeep race! I see your point about the "Villiage Idiot" award, I'd go broke handing out that many trophys. Perhaps a virtual ribbon? Kind of like the "kid showed up" awards they like handing out in school these days.

Hey guys , I have now built and tweeked with the help of a few GITS,10 mini type events.

A jeep race through obstacles on to roads through a town to an airshow.

A 2 part C47 accurate cargo drop mission through mountain passes, in bad weather, landing on a short makeshift runway. ( This event appears twice, one in rain and lightning, one in snow and I could use input as to which works best )

A fighter VS AI fighter dogfight using the BF109 G6 Late against various other fighter aircraft.

A "Comet" ME 163 bomber intercept event.

A base defence event. Using grounded,entrenched bomber gun positions defend an airbase against attacking troops, vehicles and aircraft.

A multi engined dogfight using the P38L against other types of AI multi engined aircraft.

A mountain pass race using the LA5 with a difference. You can earn extra points landing, finishing, shooting balloons and by flying over small hidden objects.

A single engine VS AI multi engined event using the P47.

A ground attack event using the IL2 M3.

Any imput on aircraft types, conditions, time of year or day would be helpful.Some are one life events, some unlimited using refuel, rearm etc... After each event the points are added and posted so you know where you are. Some events allow for large scores so the leaderboard can change rapidly.

I never meant this to be serious and built it as just a fun point hoarding Comp.This is not to find the best pilot, I just thought it would be nice to meet once a year and remember BG whilst having some fun. Every event obviously favours a good pilot but the worst pilot could still win this and that was my aim. Maybe a setup like that will encourage more to have a go. Once completely tested and tweeked we can see if there is enough interest. I think Roger said he has the data base of DD members so a PM could go out inviting them even though they are not active right now. Maybe it might nudge them to come and have a look. Of course it might all fizzle out and get no interest from anyone but thats OK I like building stuff anyway so I wont cry....much.

In the vault under missions is a folder called BG Competition. In it is a mission folder to be dropped in RC4 dogfights. If any of you get anyone would like to try them out please help yourself and let me know any suggestions you might have. I have several designs for a cup but am still looking for ideas in that direction also. Painless has already volunteered as a judge/committee member and of course anyone else who wants to get involved in this way just holla.

"DINO"