Next Dcs......p-51

DD_Bongodriver

Not to be a naysayer but ED needs to stick to modern air combat and improve on what they already have, not convoluted the DCS environment with WW2 planes. Why don't they focus on making new jets like the f-18 or Harrier II?

Not to be a naysayer but ED needs to stick to modern air combat and improve on what they already have, not convoluted the DCS environment with WW2 planes. Why don't they focus on making new jets like the f-18 or Harrier II?

Thats exactly what I thought. I mean, I'm sure it'll be wonderful but.......why?

They are. According to the road map, they are working (in paralell) on a updated version of A10C that will have combined ops content, Flaming Cliffs 3 (which will be compatible with A10 and Black Shark 2). The P51 is a collaboration with the Fighter Collection people. Also they have the yet unannounced fixed wing aircraft for the next DCS game.

• 1. DDz Quorum

I really don't get this 'Why?' attitude. It's all over the ED forums with some people being very snobby.

Well i say "why not?" The highest fidelity flight simulator environment get's a Pony? That's are hearty two thumbs up and my big toes as well!

Don't like it? Don't buy it. Simples.

• 2. Administrators

I'm very likely to be buying this. Although I'm wondering whether this is about modelling what TFC have in the fleet at present or if they're looking at historical scenarios, in which case we're looking at Korea at the latest. Except, this is a P-51D - Not a variant active in Korea I think (I suspect Blubear is poised to correct me on this - he usually is :rolleyes:).

Jabo

Yes Jedi, realize they are working on FC3 but the people, time and effort spent on this P-51 could have been spent making another plane for FC3 perhaps. And yes I realize its not being done by the DCS crew but then that just makes it a 3rd party mod plane that you are now paying for if you choose. And the choice is of course, up to the individual. For me, so far I see no compelling reason to buy it, so I won't unless there becomes one.

Look, I do somewhat understand the "Why not?" approach, I mean if someone wants to paint a Spitfire hot pink, why not, but I think all of us would agree it's a bad idea. That and I get the feeling that there will never be a full blown WW2 theater in DSC. Korea, possibly but there are no other Korean war planes yet that I know of in DCS, so wouldn't it have been more prudent to start with Migs and Sabres? That doesn't mean for course they are not working on Korea, just seems like a really backward approach. Unless they were not sure the prop jobs would work right so they used the 51 as a test bed for Korea.

Whatever the case is, if FC3 is missing just one decent plane that I want, I am going to mindlessly and unsubstantiatedly, blame it on the P-51D. In which case, flying it in IL-2 will become all that much more bitter sweet. :flying:

I really don't get this 'Why?' attitude. It's all over the ED forums with some people being very snobby.

Well, I'm glad I don't know anyone that would do such a thing. :sheepsmile:

• 1. DDz Quorum

The idea as some of the ED team have hinted is is to start using DCS as the jump off point in the development of the next global-flight sim; ala - Microsoft FS series.

Given that A-10C feels pretty bloody awesome and the new terrain engine that they're working on (which having taken so long can't be solely for the benefit of a single Nevada map...) I think this P-51D addon is the first bold step into making the ED team the next great mass-market flight sim developers.

Think FSX++ with the ability to blow sh*t up in high fidelity awesomeness. Now THAT'S somethng I'm well interested in.

It's a big aim but by God, I wish them luck!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm always a bit sceptical when mass market is mentioned. There is no mass market for flight sims and DCS is the last company that comes to mind when thinking about an entry to the flight sim scene.

Also I have my doubts about the potential as their past developments were focused on either mil-backed technology (thus subventioned) and / or only a single or few pilotable planes.

It'll be an interesting comparison when P51s are introduced to CloD but then again... it's only one plane for a hefty price tag and thus far from the content you get with CloD.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2. Administrators

Another intel snippet from DCS;

"The P-51D will be the first aircraft in the Flying Legends series that focuses on historical aircraft that have set benchmarks in combat aviation. This series of simulations demonstrates the broad scope of DCS simulation environment and its ability to introduce aircraft from all eras into a common simulation environment. While the P-51D started as an internal technology demonstration, it has evolved into an independent product that adds an all new dimension to the DCS universe. The development of the P-51D and other Flying Legends series aircraft definitely does not preclude the continued development of modern aircraft."

Jabo

gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme!!!!!

less talk, more action! When can we have it!

Another intel snippet from DCS;

"The P-51D will be the first aircraft in the Flying Legends series that focuses on historical aircraft that have set benchmarks in combat aviation. This series of simulations demonstrates the broad scope of DCS simulation environment and its ability to introduce aircraft from all eras into a common simulation environment. While the P-51D started as an internal technology demonstration, it has evolved into an independent product that adds an all new dimension to the DCS universe. The development of the P-51D and other Flying Legends series aircraft definitely does not preclude the continued development of modern aircraft."

Jabo