NEW DISCORD SERVER DETAILS - SIGN UP NOW - Dogz Members Only Private Thread ×

Movies

Mayhem

With the Red Tails movie about to hit theaters, I can't help but notice what looks like some terrible Hollywoodization and movie physics in the trailers I've seen so far. Couple that with the sure to be included, modernized hip hop comedy that is practically a prerequisite these days (I hear "Ne-Yo" hams it up) and I'm not real sure I'm going to see this one till it hits DVD.

While poking around for more info on the movie I ran across some trailers for a film I hadn't taken note of previously. Once again the aerial combat footage, while stimulating, seems to have a few moments of movie physics thrown in from time to time that are a bit hard to overlook. There's a bit of that 300 (Spartans)/Sin City look going on too. Anyone every see this movie and how is it if you have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kHPmxtV67U

I watched the Red Baron about a year ago, posted a review of it somewhere on the forum. The short of it is, pretty decent flight scenes, albeit a bit too fast paced. Strange German accents in the english version, and a bit of an awkward romance plot. Might be worth a view though, but don't expect Citizen Kane.

The Red Tail trailer doesn't look promising. That's a shame, as the the Tuskegee story deserves better. The Tuskegee Airmen were led by Benjamin Davis, one of the first blacks ever to graduate from West Point. During his time at the military academy, he was shunned by his classmates and endured four years of West Point in complete isolation. He still graduated in the top third of his class, quite an accomplishment in those conditions.

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_O._Davis,_Jr.

There was just a great documentary of them on the military channel. I think it was produced by or at least funded by Lucas to promote the movie but after seeing it, I didn't need to see any more. It was really good.

Damn, why can't Hollywood make decent historical action movies? They have degenerated to pander to 16-25 year old boys! (no offense to the 16-25 year old boys around here - of course, in our august company, you've become much more mature, like Mick!)

Totally agree Rattler. This trend has been going on forever. I used to love movies, but now sadly, the majority of what's produced is crap. Especially the over the top action films.