The Big Fat Aeroplane Video Thread!

BluBear

• 2. Administrators

Hmmm niiice :)

An American built replica 262 and a Spanish built buchon with a Daimler bolted to it...

Me, a purist? Haha no. Actually I'd trade a few spitfires to ze fatherland for a chance to see these beauties over here!

They hardly ever come to the UK, but that 109 visited in 2010

post-406-0-71963200-1353537911_thumb.jpg

post-406-0-94628900-1353537946_thumb.jpg

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P-thirty-who? <_<

Know it well Dave old fruit. Some of air-2-air footage is particularly delightful.

Others are out there for the -51, -47 & P-40 for those who are interested.

Warhawk one is particularly interesting; no full flaps until you are practically at the threshold and KNOW you are landing and NO 3 pointing - period!

• 2 months later...

Found this over at the B.O.S. forums. Very interesting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jJT_CACIZqs#!

Pilot " I want to reduce speed to get some flaps going"

Instructor " I understand"

Pilot " Where are the flaps?"

Instructor "........................................" (silence).

:salute: To this guy!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Highlights of Farnborough '51 with the famous Zurakowski Cartwheel from 2:00.

I've often read about it, but this is the first time I've seen footage of it - quite a maneuver!

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/highlights-of-farnborough-1951

Some back story:

Zurakowski would often resort to mathematical calculations to explain his theories, but when he tried to Show Jim Heyworth, chief test pilot for Rolls Royce, that he had come up with something different, Heyworth was baffled.
Zura said that he had discovered a new aerobatic manoeuvre and demonstrated the theory of it on paper.
As the complex formulae were laid out in a series of notes in Zura's Hucclecote office, the RR pilot couldn't grasp the idea of a tumbling flight path.
Knowing that Zura was a very competent engineer, Heyworth believed there could possibly be something there.
He had little idea that he was being shown the beginnings of the Zurabatic Cartwheel.

The Meteor Zurakowski used was a development version that had tip tanks and also rockets mounted on the outer wings. This was to build up a large inertia movement in the yaw axis.
He would pull up to the vertical and at the right time as the speed fell off he would gun one engine to full chat. This coupled with rudder would stall turn the aircraft rapidly in the yaw axis.

The inertia from the tip tanks would continue the turning movement at the top of the stall turn so that the aircraft would then achieve a further turn before the airspeed built up in the descent and stabilised the aircraft.

Has anyone ever delved into the BBC archives?  Not easy to find on their site these days but still stuffed full of gems!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/aerialjourneys/5347.shtml

Or if your of a certain age a spot of pure nostalgia from the summer of '76.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/aerialjourneys/5328.shtml

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1. DDz Quorum

Wow to have that playing over the speakers instead of that twittering Frenchmen would be fantastic.....I feel a letter to Duxford coming on....

If not i might even try and work something out with an iPod (other mp3 devices are available)

• 3 months later...