The Big Fat Aeroplane Video Thread!

BluBear

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an achievement, and what a beautiful aeroplane! 

Bugatti 100P First Flight

In keeping with our Full-Disclosure policy, here is my summation of our first flight experience:

We intended this flight to be limited to a short hop down the runway to check power required/power available and to check control responsiveness in all three axes. Preflight preparation and before-takeoff checks were normal. Takeoff was normal and at a predetermined reduced power (80%) setting; takeoff roll was 3000 feet and I became airborne at 90 knots. I climbed to 100 AGL to check power and control responsiveness. The plane responded as expected to all power changes and control inputs. Maximum airspeed was 110 knots.

I reduced power for landing but the airplane floated much more than we anticipated. I landed further down the runway than planned but with sufficient distance to stop the plane. Unfortunately, I lost the right brake and the airplane departed the left side of the runway at slow speed. Due to heavy rains the night before, the ground was soft and the airplane tipped upward on its nose, damaging the spinner and both props. 

Such is the nature of flight testing a new design. The relevant news is we successfully flew the Bugatti 100P for the first time. The plane flew beautifully.

Shame about the nose over, but fantastic to see. Good luck to them!

More about the 100P: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugatti_Model_100

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1. DDz Quorum

Excellent drone footage of Bristol Scout replica. I saw this fly at Shuttleworth this year, very nice.

With a real rotary engine, but I guess they got more throttle control now than just 'blipping' it?

(Too bad there's no sound, we could've told whether or not blippage going on...)

Drifting is fun!

It ís!

Wonder how long it will take for a tire to burn out ... :)