The Big Fat Aeroplane Video Thread!

BluBear

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some new Gyro-stabilized System GSS 520 5 axis system that would produce rock solid images at a speed of more than 300 knots - shit. Looks pretty solid though. Watching in full screen HD preferred.

• 2 weeks later...

Not watched it all yet, but plenty of Focke footage here!

I never knew the cooling fan turned faster than the propeller, it can be seen starting to rotate in a close up at 52:00 into the film.

• Like 1

Saw this years ago on some airshow pictures forum, seems he's still going with it which is good.

Not a 'real' Spitfire per se, but this Allison powered 1:1 scale Mk.IX(ish) home build is a worthy effort.

Far better than any of those ghastly 'Spitfire' Mk.26s that plague the land, I have to admire the guy.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wonderful stuff, what a beauty! It's funny, the G-12 looks better in the flesh than any photograph or colour-plate would suggest. I also think this version of the swastika is a better alternative to either nothing or the modern German flag.

The test pilot Charlie Brown, is one of the highest timed 109 pilots around and a serving RAF officer; how ironic! [emoji38] Tom and I have also flown with him in a Stearman… I'm sure we've mentioned that story one or two (hundred) times.

• Like 4

Wouldn't a more skilled pilot have had the sense not to do that in the first place?

What's the saying "Truly superior pilots use their superior judgment to avoid situations where they'd have to use their superior skill."  Something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a fan of the F-16, personally, but my goodness, can an unloaded* F-16 turn!

* I say "unloaded" in the parlance of all the extra junk they put on what was supposed to be a pure air to air fighter to make it what the U.S. in general, and by extension, USAF, have always wanted -  one "size" fits all, or more to the point, one aircraft does EVERTHING.  (The Navy has gone the same way with the F/A-18; coincidentally, former YF-17 and "loser" of the completion that the YF-16 won.  The YF-17 underwent several 'slight' modifications to become the F/A-18.)  This, of course is a trade off, and what you end up with, instead of master of one craft (air to air), you get something that does everything - poorly.  Of course, a large part of this has to do with the basic problem with multi-role capability.  The aircraft may have the systems to do it all, in theory, but the pilot can only train to be expert at really one thing.  Too many, and while you may be able to do it (all) and in theory proficient, you can't do it (all) well, never mind become a true expert at everything.