Laptop For My Kids

Fireman

Was thinking of getting my girls a laptop each for xmas...futureshop in canada has a few cheapies in the 300dollar rAnge...any suggestions as to what i shud or shud not look at wud be appreciated...400each is kinda my ceiling unless i buy just one and let them fight over it...thx guys

• 1. DDz Quorum

I'd like to help you Fireman, but I'm watching this thread too. I planned to ask the same question, but you beat me to it.

Come on mates, for 12 year old boy or Firemans girls. Roger, FT :huh:??

• 1. DDz Quorum

Well, it'll all depend on what the thing is going to be used for!

Will it simply be a 'toy', or are they going to use it for school, or other serious matters?

As, for fun, 11.6" is fine, but a vertical resolution of 600 is just way too low to browse the Internet...

And, I would not know what is a good machine, or a bad one.

Me thinks it's all a bit moot, as a lot of the parts inside those things are all from the same makers...

I'd be looking at the best/biggest screen I could get for the least amount of money...

and check whether the pgup/pgdn buttons are both on the right hand side of the keyboard, because at that low resolution one will be using them a lot!

I have a 11.6 EEE PC netbook I bought 3 years ago, wonderful little thing, a bit slow these days however. You really need to get the ones with a 1360x768 resolution or higher. My sister bought one this year for around the same price that runs 1400x900 and has a fairly decent dualcore processor. It runs W7 and runs most programs just fine, just don't expect to play games on them. But if the laptop is going to be their main computer I'd go for a 15.6'' one. The netbooks may be very useful and extremely portable (takes up less space than my folders), they do come with quite a performance and monitor penalty.