Joystick Mapping

Flyboy583

So the last few days has been a steep learning curve, but hell, I enjoyed every second so far!!

So to date I have installed IL2 and all the updates and started tinkering with my x45....

I was not happy with the curve settings of my joystick, but then again also did not understand how different curve settings affect the joystick, well after a lot of reading and tinkering (Im using Joy control) finally have the aircraft responding to my inputs aggressively, but not immediately going into a high speed stall or spin... (Ill need to do some flying online, to see if I can push the envelope more.. time will tell)

So I now have a basic platform to start working from... Next is mapping the joystick, so one again looking online for x45 profiles and some more reading it has become clear that there is not a standard set of controls to map, every body is different and wants different levels of reality, but as I am going to fly with the DD it makes sense to see what standard set of controls I need to map on my X45 so that I can fly online without shame (My first attempt at online flying ended up with me sitting on the runway unable to start the engines of my P-38 blink.gif, by the time I (with help) figured it out, I was alone on the runway lol!!)

What I have mapped so far is..

Flaps (Up / Down)

Gear (Up Down)

Cowl Flaps / Radiator

Emergency Power (WEP)

Select Left Engine

Select Right Engine

Gunsight

Brake

Ok so this is my baseline... What other controls do I need to map??

• 1. DDz Quorum

Lots, here are a few I use:

A= Auto Pilot

B=Bomb Level

Alt B=Air Brake

C=Canopy

Shft C=Super Charger Up

Ctrl C=Super Charger Down

Ctrl D= GunSight/Recticle Toggle

E=WEP

F=Flaps Up

G=Gear Toggle

H=Hook

I=Ignition

J=Jettison Tanks

K=Time Skip

L=Lower Gear (Manual)

Ctrl L=Cockpit Lights

Shft L=Landing Lights

M=Map

Shft M=Mirror Toggle

N=Navigation Lights

O=Open Bomb Doors

P=Prop Feathering

Q=Record

R=Raise Flaps (Manual)

Alt R=Radiator

S=Speed Bar Toggle

T=Tailwheel

U=Fire Ext.

V=Flaps Down

W=Wing Fold

Shft W=Wingtip Smoke

X=Chocks

Y=Change Icon settings

Z=Online Rating (scores)

I have others, for trim, bombing, fuel mixture and prop pitch if you need them.

So the last few days has been a steep learning curve, but hell, I enjoyed every second so far!!

So to date I have installed IL2 and all the updates and started tinkering with my x45....

I was not happy with the curve settings of my joystick, but then again also did not understand how different curve settings affect the joystick, well after a lot of reading and tinkering (Im using Joy control) finally have the aircraft responding to my inputs aggressively, but not immediately going into a high speed stall or spin... (Ill need to do some flying online, to see if I can push the envelope more.. time will tell)

So I now have a basic platform to start working from... Next is mapping the joystick, so one again looking online for x45 profiles and some more reading it has become clear that there is not a standard set of controls to map, every body is different and wants different levels of reality, but as I am going to fly with the DD it makes sense to see what standard set of controls I need to map on my X45 so that I can fly online without shame (My first attempt at online flying ended up with me sitting on the runway unable to start the engines of my P-38 blink.gif, by the time I (with help) figured it out, I was alone on the runway lol!!)

Flaps (Up / Down)

Gear (Up Down)

Cowl Flaps / Radiator

Emergency Power (WEP)

Select Left Engine

Select Right Engine

Gunsight

Brake

Hi, quick list

Select all engines

toggle engine (start/stop)

Manual gear up & down for Wildcats and others

toggle wing fold

toggle arrester hook

dive brakes

center track IR :)

nav lights

supercharger up

supercharger down

padlock enemy ground (very handy if your eyesight isnt as good as it should be)

drop tanks

I am sure that there are some more :laughing7:

it might be worth getting a Saitek Pro gamer control pad it gives another 20 buttons more if you use the modes.

Place them where it suits you, but it can be hard to remember which button does what ;)

Cheers Pooka!! That is quite some list you have there!!! Every button on your joystick must be used lol

Lots, here are a few I use:

A= Auto Pilot

B=Bomb Level

Alt B=Air Brake

C=Canopy

Shft C=Super Charger Up

Ctrl C=Super Charger Down

Ctrl D= GunSight/Recticle Toggle

E=WEP

F=Flaps Up

G=Gear Toggle

H=Hook

I=Ignition

J=Jettison Tanks

K=Time Skip

L=Lower Gear (Manual)

Ctrl L=Cockpit Lights

Shft L=Landing Lights

M=Map

Shft M=Mirror Toggle

N=Navigation Lights

O=Open Bomb Doors

P=Prop Feathering

Q=Record

R=Raise Flaps (Manual)

Alt R=Radiator

S=Speed Bar Toggle

T=Tailwheel

U=Fire Ext.

V=Flaps Down

W=Wing Fold

Shft W=Wingtip Smoke

X=Chocks

Y=Change Icon settings

Z=Online Rating (scores)

I have others, for trim, bombing, fuel mixture and prop pitch if you need them.

Thanks mutt :)

I downloaded the configuration software for Saitek but I must be doing something wrong as I have configured lots of buttins using the different modes, but when I start up IL2, none of them are recognized in the game.. So I opted to configure the buttons using the IL2 in game configuration, but this does not recognize the different modes so limits the amount of buttons I can use :(

Any Ideas?

Flaps (Up / Down)

Gear (Up Down)

Cowl Flaps / Radiator

Emergency Power (WEP)

Select Left Engine

Select Right Engine

Gunsight

Brake

Hi, quick list

Select all engines

toggle engine (start/stop)

Manual gear up & down for Wildcats and others

toggle wing fold

toggle arrester hook

dive brakes

center track IR :)

nav lights

supercharger up

supercharger down

padlock enemy ground (very handy if your eyesight isnt as good as it should be)

drop tanks

I am sure that there are some more :laughing7:

it might be worth getting a Saitek Pro gamer control pad it gives another 20 buttons more if you use the modes.

Place them where it suits you, but it can be hard to remember which button does what ;)

I downloaded the configuration software for Saitek but I must be doing something wrong as I have configured lots of buttins using the different modes, but when I start up IL2, none of them are recognized in the game.. So I opted to configure the buttons using the IL2 in game configuration, but this does not recognize the different modes so limits the amount of buttons I can use :(

Any Ideas?

Try watching these videos :thumbsu:

Edited by Crash
files now in vault.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Those are the controls on my keyboard, I have a MSFFB2 joystick, it also has about nine controls, (brake, guns and next enemy/friendly views). I also use a CH Throttle and there are a couple dozen on it, some duplicates of the keyboard. I can send them if your interested.

Good luck

Cheers for uploading the videos Crash.. I tried registering on the forum, but the forum is closed to new registrations.. ?? Bloody typical!! I have send an email off to Saitek in disgust, but now dont mind :) The videos are available!! thumbsu.gif

Any Ideas?

Try watching these videos :thumbsu:

Hey Pooka, that would be much appreciated!!! thumbsu.gif All the help I can get would help.. no point in re-inventing the wheel now is there :)

Those are the controls on my keyboard, I have a MSFFB2 joystick, it also has about nine controls, (brake, guns and next enemy/friendly views). I also use a CH Throttle and there are a couple dozen on it, some duplicates of the keyboard. I can send them if your interested.

Good luck

Fireman,

i have to confess.. After watching the videos on programming the SST software, I realized that I have not been activating the profile.. blink.gif

Idiot = me!!

make sure when u program the controls into the stick (i am assuming an x45 or52) that u enable the profile u created before u start up the sim.

Flaps (Up / Down)

Gear (Up Down)

Cowl Flaps / Radiator

Emergency Power (WEP)

Select Left Engine

Select Right Engine

Gunsight

Brake

HI Flyboy,

SVMapper is a (Free) PC controller utility to assign commands to controller inputs. It can handle inputs from multiple controllers. I use it and it works really well. There is a download link here: http://thommos.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=MostPopular

Give it a try. Its also pretty simple to setup.

MT

• 1. DDz Quorum

Here are a few others:

Page Up = Inc Prop Pitch

Page Down= Dec Prop Pitch

Insert= Auto Prop Pitch

Ctrl Page Up= Inc Mixture

Ctrl Page Down= Dec Mixture

Shft F2= Adjust Seat (Raises)

TRIM:

Up Arrow= Elev Neg

Comma= Elev Nuetral

Down Arrow= Elev Pos

Ctrtl Left Arrow= Ailron Left

Period= Ailron Neutral

Ctrl Right Arrow= Ailron Rightr

Left Arrow= Rudder Left

Slash= Rudder Nuetral

Right Arrow= Rudder Right

Settings on stick: FOV, WEP,Center TrackIR, Air Brake, Landing Gear, Mixture up & down, Radiator, Map, L & R rudder trim, F1, F2, F3 and Brake.

The bombing keys above from another poster are the same I use. Get to work, call if you need help.

Cheers MT thumbsu.gif Ill give it a whirl tonight and test it online :) Appreciate the help!

Flaps (Up / Down)

Gear (Up Down)

Cowl Flaps / Radiator

Emergency Power (WEP)

Select Left Engine

Select Right Engine

Gunsight

Brake

HI Flyboy,

SVMapper is a (Free) PC controller utility to assign commands to controller inputs. It can handle inputs from multiple controllers. I use it and it works really well. There is a download link here: http://thommos.com/m..._op=MostPopular

Give it a try. Its also pretty simple to setup.

MT

laughing7.gif Yup, I know the feeling.. Ctr-E it is then!!

Don't forget to map the eject button someplace handy. I find it exciting to always try to survive. Even after a Dog has removed my left wing and bloodied my nose.

Cheers Pooka thumbsu.gif

I will be mapping this afternoon and then online tonight!

Here are a few others:

Page Up = Inc Prop Pitch

Page Down= Dec Prop Pitch

Insert= Auto Prop Pitch

Ctrl Page Up= Inc Mixture

Ctrl Page Down= Dec Mixture

Shft F2= Adjust Seat (Raises)

TRIM:

Up Arrow= Elev Neg

Comma= Elev Nuetral

Down Arrow= Elev Pos

Ctrtl Left Arrow= Ailron Left

Period= Ailron Neutral

Ctrl Right Arrow= Ailron Rightr

Left Arrow= Rudder Left

Slash= Rudder Nuetral

Right Arrow= Rudder Right

Settings on stick: FOV, WEP,Center TrackIR, Air Brake, Landing Gear, Mixture up & down, Radiator, Map, L & R rudder trim, F1, F2, F3 and Brake.

The bombing keys above from another poster are the same I use. Get to work, call if you need help.